Discuss Inspecting and testing in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

APE37

-
Reaction score
Hi Guys, looking at doing Initial and Periodic inspecting and testing. Looking between the CandG and EAL Just wondering if I can ask peoples opinion on both courses who have done them recently? How did they find them, does anyone recommend one over the other or any other input would be great. As the provider I am looking to go with offers both. Any feedback would be great.
Thanks.

City and guilds more recanised then Eal, what books have you got are getting for your journey.
Thanks for the reply. I have the usual books, regs book, onside guide and guidance note 3. Will probably need to look at getting some books for study. Have been told C&G is more recognised, but have also been told that EAL is equivalent and seen as equal, and have been recommended to go on EAL as it is open book on exams, a bit more real life like, as if you was on a job you would refer to the regs/ GN3. Where as C&G is closed book, and you have to remember everything. But was just looking at others experience on each of the courses and how they found it? Also any recommendations for study guides that may be helpful?
Thanks.👍🏻

City & Guilds 2391-52 Level 3 Award in Inspection and Testing assessment is in 3 parts: One 3 hour assessment consisting of 2 practical tasks. A short-answer open-book 80 minute written exam. An online open-book 120 minute multi-choice exam.

2391-52 is definitely not closed book it consists of a practical, picture test for Coding, written exam (open book) and multi-choice (open book).

Both courses appear to be very similar but I would recommend the 2391-52. When it comes to looking for a job particularly if you want to become a QS then 2391 is what people are looking for.

Both courses appear to be very similar but I would recommend the 2391-52. When it comes to looking for a job particularly if you want to become a QS then 2391 is what people are looking for.
Thanks for your advice. Will probably do C&G. If any one can recommend good study material that would be great. Thanks.

The most important things on the practical is doing the tests in the correct sequence. Failure of the practical is predominantly caused by the incorrect locking off and proving dead procedure this is very important. The practical is both the EIC and EICR on two distribution boards, the EIC being not more than two circuits. The EICR covers the other circuits and they introduce two or three faults and once identified the tutor will ask you to explain the fault and possibly consequences. You have to complete the paperwork for both an EIC and EICR with the later to include your fault and Coding for them.
I would recommend reading through GN3 not all in one go but it may be helpful.
The important thing is the college want you to pass and will point you in the right direction.

The most important things on the practical is doing the tests in the correct sequence. Failure of the practical is predominantly caused by the incorrect locking off and proving dead procedure this is very important. The practical is both the EIC and EICR on two distribution boards, the EIC being not more than two circuits. The EICR covers the other circuits and they introduce two or three faults and once identified the tutor will ask you to explain the fault and possibly consequences. You have to complete the paperwork for both an EIC and EICR with the later to include your fault and Coding for them.
I would recommend reading through GN3 not all in one go but it may be helpful.
The important thing is the college want you to pass and will point you in the right direction.
Thanks for the response and advice. Will definitely have a read up on GN3. Hopefully I will come away passing it, as I've been told it can be difficult to pass. On an9ther thought, if say you pass practical but fail say for example the written part does that mean you fail the whole course? Or can you retake just parts that you failed? Thanks.

No you can retake in parts. The practical is what everyone worries about as the time can get tight and some people can go to pieces. Just take a breath, think about the correct steps to take and most people are fine.

No you can retake in parts. The practical is what everyone worries about as the time can get tight and some people can go to pieces. Just take a breath, think about the correct steps to take and
Thanks Westward. You've been really helpful. Hopefully I will pass all first time, but good to know you only retake parts failed. To be fair, it will be the practical that I will struggle on as its not something I cope well with having someone watching me over my shoulder. But like you say, deep breaths, and think about what's going on znd I am doing. Thanks again fir all the help and advice.👍🏻

They really aren't there to trip you up and they should through the time of the course show you the testing and give you plenty of practice.

Reply to Inspecting and testing in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net