Discuss Inspection Cameras Any Good? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all.
Does anyone have any views on using cameras to send under floorboards etc?
I was thinking about getting either a borscope or cable ferret.
The borescopes (£60 ish on Amazon) look pretty good as they look like you send them behind dot and dab as they are pretty small, but not sure if you can see anything clearly while you're navigating so maybe pointless?
Take it with the cable ferret you need a fairly large hole to start with?
Anyone have any experience of these?
Thanks.

No experience of the ferret here... but I do have a cheap borescope that I picked up in Aldi/Lidl ages ago. I've used it a few times and it's certainly helped... mainly in ceilings where you just have a small rose/downlight hole to poke into. I'd say for £60 it's a go-er...

Ive got an Aldi one as well from years ago.
It's not bad, good enough to see obstructions.

I've recently bought a USB camera , it's bit smaller but the flex is over 3 mtrs, longer ones are available.
The only problem is my oldish Android phone doesn't support OTG and UVC (whatever they are!!) so I use it with a laptop.

There's hundreds of different USB makes, but probably most use the same systems.

For the amount I use it (which is not that much) I've been content with the £30 ish Depstech one. It's rechargeable, it creates a wifi network, you join that network on your phone, run the app and off you go. It's mainly locating downlight junction boxes and surveying if there's any hope at all of fishing cables that get's it out of the box.

I have a ferret cam and it is pretty useful but not worth the amount they want for it imho. I have a cheap magnum one from screwfix that has about 1m of flexi neck on it that I use most perfect size for behind a pendant or small knot in floorboards. Think that was £30 on a sale a few years ago!

^^^^^^^I think it's 26mm hole so not small, it's ok for a downlight hole or a lifted board but not very discrete if you need to make a hole for it! The flexi one I have only needs 10mm

I have a few inspection cameras one is a standalone unit that I use with a couple of different camera heads ( 1.5 and 20 metres long ) I also have a few USB cameras of varying lengths that can be bought quite cheaply on a well known auction site that can be used on a phone, tablet or laptop, with the camera taped to a cable rod or a drain rod it can be used to check routes for cables under floors or in ducts

I have a ferret cam and it is pretty useful but not worth the amount they want for it imho. I have a cheap magnum one from screwfix that has about 1m of flexi neck on it that I use most perfect size for behind a pendant or small knot in floorboards. Think that was £30 on a sale a few years ago!
Saw the ferret at an Elex show a while back and thought the price would limit it's market also it's size and design limits what you can use it for

@UNG yes that was where I first saw it must have been the 2018 or 19 show! At the time I was doing a lot of kitchen upgrades and bought it for downlight installs yes it's good but if it's a once in a while tool it's not worth it especially when you look on the bay at alternatives. Not really used it that much since except for checking cable ducts and drains as the cheap one I have covers most bases these days!

^^^^^^^I think it's 26mm hole so not small, it's ok for a downlight hole or a lifted board but not very discrete if you need to make a hole for it! The flexi one I have only needs 10mm
Ok so not for discreet inspections then! My cheap as chips one has a 6mm head but you need more than that to encourage it to take a certain course.

lost a "USB Endoscope, Potensic® 2 in 1 Semi-rigid Borescope Inspection Camera"via mobile phone on a job. did come in handy on the odd rare occasion. ... but only good for close focus work not distance. Still use 10mm bent cable for a feeler😀 ....oow..er misses !!

I have this one....

I have taped this camera to the end of my rods and being able to see the hook on the end while grabbing the fish wire has helped a lot over the time I've had it.
Its got a very long reach so can be taped onto a few meters of rod.The picture on the phone is very good and the led lights help locate the wiring no problem.Highly recommeded.Fairly cheap seals the deal for me 🥳

Fan of the Ferret here, but it's quite expensive. One of the youtube sparkys did a video on it but I can't remember who it was...however Gary from EFixx did one and I'm sure there are many more reviews online

I have this one....

I have taped this camera to the end of my rods and being able to see the hook on the end while grabbing the fish wire has helped a lot over the time I've had it.
Its got a very long reach so can be taped onto a few meters of rod.The picture on the phone is very good and the led lights help locate the wiring no problem.Highly recommeded.Fairly cheap seals the deal for me 🥳

About the only way to use this type of camera, over distances greater than a metre or so.

Fan of the Ferret here, but it's quite expensive. One of the youtube sparkys did a video on it but I can't remember who it was...however Gary from EFixx did one and I'm sure there are many more reviews online

I think David Savery once used one in a video. Was good to see it put to practical use, rather than simply reviewed, but it's a lot of money. Thought about buying one on a few occasions when decent discounts were offered, but couldn't bring myself to do so.

The Depstech camera doesn't provide the greatest of resolution, but does what it needs to at a fairly modest price. One major advantage over the Ferret is its ability to access much smaller spaces.

I have one that cost around £800. It's actually a drain inspection camera, but it's only 20mm across, and attached to a very long semi rigid cable. Consists of the camera, reel of rod, and a small suitcase containing the 12" monitor.
When I say "have" it's not actually mine, but I'm allowed to borrow it any time I need it.
It went wrong a few years ago, and was returned to the manufacturers for repair. It came back unrepaired, with an invoice for 'inspection', and a note saying it was damaged beyond economical repair, plus a price list for their current models.
I heard about this, and asked to look at it. About an hour later, with a 25p part, it was back in full working order, with the owner watching me work.

It went wrong a few years ago, and was returned to the manufacturers for repair. It came back unrepaired, with an invoice for 'inspection', and a note saying it was damaged beyond economical repair, plus a price list for their current models.
I heard about this, and asked to look at it. About an hour later, with a 25p part, it was back in full working order, with the owner watching me work.

Wouldn't be the first time I've seen a manufacturer pull that stunt.

It's something I almost expect and a large part of the reason why I won't send anything to a manufacturer for repair, unless it's still covered by warranty.

It had started to flicker while being used, and then smoke started to come from the monitor. Owner had panicked and pulled the DC power plug out by its lead.
All that had happened inside was that a 2000 odd uF electrolytic capacitor, connected directly across the DC in to the circuit board, had blown its top, producing the smoke.
I replaced this, and powered it up, but still nothing. Found no 12 volts DC coming in, so assumed the mains PSU had failed through the capacitor going SC. Connected up the bench PSU, and all in working order.
Noticed that the DC power plug could be dismantled, so took it apart, with the idea that I could fit the plug to a generic replacement PSU, and saw, that in his haste to disconnect the power, the owner had broken away one of the wires from its terminal in the plug. Reterminated both wires in the plug, and all back in full working order.

Reply to Inspection Cameras Any Good? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net