Discuss IP rating for hand driers in toilets in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

TonyQ

At the Church I attend, two hand driers need replacing in the toilets. One is a sensible distance away from the nearest water - about 1.5m - while the other one is very close to a basin. I understand that a toilet - no bath or shower - is not subject to any special regulations. Nevertheless, it seems very likely that one of the driers will be splashed from the basin. Therefore my question is, what IP rating should I look for on the replacement driers? I think I know that there isn't a mandatory answer to this, but what would you actually do? (This is a Church, so we need to keep the cost down, but not to a level where the installation is unsafe.) As a secondary question, are there any brands of cheaper (note, I'm not saying cheap!) hand driers that really work? I've seen driers where they make a lot of noise and pump out some air, but they don't actually dry your hands at all! Thanks for any advice as to what I should ask our electrician to fit.

I think you'll find that due to the very nature of these machines (the fact that they are designed to have dripping wet hands shaken about all around them), you don't really need to worry about this in a room with no bath or shower.
Personally, I like the ones which suck the water from your hands and store it in a drip tray.

I'd agree, they should be fit for purpose if they're up to the BS kite mark and toilet/hand basins don't need the zoning considerations that a bath or a shower would.

Yep ... As above you'll be shaking your wet hands under it regardless of where its sited (within reason). Its suitably designed for the purpose and function for which its used.

the robus ones i have fitted are not the cheapest but are not badly priced imo for what they are I think the robus ones are around £120+ now. the ones I have fitted and imo fantastic hand dryers are the dyson air blade, these are most certainly not the price you are looking at payinng though as I remember them being around £700 :D
Robus "R890HSD-01" 890w High Speed Hand Dryer

You say that this is for the church that you attend, so I'm assuming that you are a member of the congregation or PCC? With respect, your electrician will have to decide what he deems "suitable for requirements", within the budget constraints you lay down. Could you explain why you are asking this question on here, rather than talking to the professional who will be installing the unit?

I'm asking because I want a second opinion, before I ask our electrician! The electrician we use will almost certainly turn it back to us (me!) by offering me several different models at different prices. In the end I'll have to decide which one to order, so I'm trying to learn about this ahead of that conversation. Thanks.

Without sounding big or clever, i like TOWELS, please re invent the towel, cos i have yet to use a "Hand-dryer" that actually dries my hands.

Cheers..........Howard

Without sounding big or clever, i like TOWELS, please re invent the towel, cos i have yet to use a "Hand-dryer" that actually dries my hands.

Cheers..........Howard

to be honest and without plugging the dyson ones they really do. I was amazed when I installed one, yes the price is not cheap but the quality is good and they work :D not had to go back to them yet either which is a bonus :D

Cheers..........Howard

Ha Ha,lol. When I use the hand dryers, I cant be bothered standing there 5 mins till there dry, so as Im walking out the loo, I wipe my hands on my pants/shirt. Scruffy I know but I am from Bradford!!

Ha Ha,lol. When I use the hand dryers, I cant be bothered standing there 5 mins till there dry, so as Im walking out the loo, I wipe my hands on my pants/shirt. Scruffy I know but I am from Bradford!!
not just a Bradford thing I do it too

While the Dyson "airblade" driers are much more effective than most others, one place I know had a problem after installing them. A lot of people used them in quick succession, particularly at lunchtime. These driers work principally by pushing the water off your hands, not by evaporating it. As a result, there was a problem with the floor getting quite wet underneath the driers ...

While the Dyson "airblade" driers are much more effective than most others, one place I know had a problem after installing them. A lot of people used them in quick succession, particularly at lunchtime. These driers work principally by pushing the water off your hands, not by evaporating it. As a result, there was a problem with the floor getting quite wet underneath the driers ...

I thought they had driptrays.

I thought they did too. kinda curved on the bottom to let the water drip into. never really looked at them in that great a detail though tbh.

Hand dryer in a church , let us pray whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrr , sorry bad sense of humour , think about it you can have switches in a bathroom which does contain a bath or shower 600 mm from the edge of the bath and as long as all circuits are RCD protected , so think about where the hand dryers are going to be installed

Reply to IP rating for hand driers in toilets in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net