• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss IP ratings of outdoor light fittings in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Andy-1960

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just stumbled across this on YouTube and I have to say I agree with this guy... how can this fitting be suitable for outdoor use??
I had a quick surf and found the fitting for sale at Screwfix and they state IP23 and weatherproof.. how can it be IP23 AND weatherproof, the two things contradict..
Have a look see what you think..
It's worrying when you think a DIYer could by this and stick outside exposed to the elements and believe he's done nothing wrong.
Surprised at Philips on this one.

I know one thing, I certainly would not fit it outside!

fair enough, but he said near the beginning that customer wanted them under a balcony canopy. i've got similar fitted in soffit. been there 6 years, no problems. no way they'll get wet.

fair enough, but he said near the beginning that customer wanted them under a balcony canopy. i've got similar fitted in soffit. been there 6 years, no problems. no way they'll get wet.
I agree Tel, but it does not say you can fit them outside providing.... it says they are weatherproof.

Direct rain IP65 and canopy IP54 is always my recommend. Then I explain that the extra £30 spent on a fitting means no call backs no extra expence and the light fitting will not lose its looks so quickly. Like you say - common sense - if only you could buy that!
Edit- I probably should have watch it first! There is no difference to a £6 downlight. I'd probably be more worried about putting a hole saw into an asbestos sheet that makes the balcony canopy.
He's likeable this spark but I think he's lonely working on his own - always reporting on stuff! Needs a wife to moan to when he gets home!

Last edited:
I've just commented on YouTube and had a nice reply. If it's just falling rain that's the issue, then any light fitting in the underside of a porch or sofit is unlikely to get significantly wet. If it was in an exposed, windy, location, say by the sea, I might go for a higher IP rating.

Reply to IP ratings of outdoor light fittings in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back