Discuss IP44 Bathroom Light in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MBEINST

Hi All

I have just been to fit an IP44 rated bathroom light. The ceiling is in excess of 2.25 metres from the finished floor and the fitting is well away from the bath and shower. My interpretation is that the IP44 fitting was not actually required.

However since it has been bought I will fit it. The switch live, neutral and earth are all terminated in choc blocks in a small rubber box which is then covered by a rubber plate. I assume that this is what makes the fitting IP44. Unfortunately there is no space inside the box for the live conductor running from the consumer unit and onto the switch. Terminating these outside of the IP44 rated box will mean that the installed light cannot be rated at IP44. There would not be room under the polished steel cover to terminate into a separate IP44 rated junction box and then conceal both boxes within the fitting.

By the way this is a second floor flat and there is no access to any loft space. The wiring is already installed.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards

If its in zone 2 then only IPX2 is needed.
What does the manual say about wiring the light?
Can you show us some pics.. to get a better idea.
So you are saying that there are only 3 terminal in the small rubber box labelled up for the Earth, Neutral and Switch Live? Sounds like a rubbish light to me.
I personally wouldn't fit it and get a decent light.

updated just to say that its outside the zones. soz...

Last edited:
Can you change the current connector for one with four terminals instead of three or use a Line in-line connector if that would fit in the box.
But it does not need to be IP44 only to be suitable for the environment.

Agree, not required to be IP44 if outside zones, just suitable for the environment. The problem with a lot of this rubbish, is that the "terminal boxes" (and I use the term loosely for these inch square jokes of plastic) are really not suitable at all. I still shudder when I hear the words "we've bought the bathroom light already from...."

so, fit a line enclosure with connectors to loop in, and the from there to the light use a 3 core flex.

i was assuming there would be space above, in the void. just need a 2" hole in the ceiling.

Thanks for the feedback gents.

I have already fitted the light so unfortunately can't go back and get pictures.

Since the positioning of the fitting didn't require IP44, I disconnected the small rubber 'termination box' and fitted to the existing loop, switch live, neutral and earth using wago's.

The customer paid over the odds for a fitting which wasn't required and was very badly designed. There is no way that this fitting could be used and still adhere to IP44.

I could have taken a small chunk of plaster board of the ceiling and gone into the void to wire the loop but that wasn't really the point. My point was that designers should understand the wiring arrangement of a lighting circuit and design their accessories accordingly.

Cheers

Thanks for the feedback gents.

I have already fitted the light so unfortunately can't go back and get pictures.

Since the positioning of the fitting didn't require IP44, I disconnected the small rubber 'termination box' and fitted to the existing loop, switch live, neutral and earth using wago's.

The customer paid over the odds for a fitting which wasn't required and was very badly designed. There is no way that this fitting could be used and still adhere to IP44.

I could have taken a small chunk of plaster board of the ceiling and gone into the void to wire the loop but that wasn't really the point. My point was that designers should understand the wiring arrangement of a lighting circuit and design their accessories accordingly.

Cheers

You are absolutely right. I have been asked to fit some total rubbish over the years, and they seem to be getting worse...

Reply to IP44 Bathroom Light in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net