Discuss IR Testing & EIC in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
In my line of work it's very rare that I ever have to change a DB. I'm largely in maintenance; occasionally have to add new circuits etc. so in respect to Testing this is all fairly straightforward to me.

I was thinking about DB changes earlier and started to stumble when it came to IR Testing

When I did 2391 a couple of years ago the instructor was very clear that you can't N/V or N/A on an EIC as this cert is used for initial verification of a system you've installed. so you're obliged to complete all relevant testing.

I can't work out how this works when you change a DB however. To complete the live to neutral IR testing you'd need to link out every single light fitting; FCU with neon; USB socket etc to avoid damage / to get a valid result? This doesn't seem viable - certainly in large domestic properties or high level warehouses etc.

Obviously on MWC you could viably link L+N together and test to E. But as I read the forms; you can't do this in an EIC as you'd be omitting a test?

or am I just forgetting something really basic?

In my line of work it's very rare that I ever have to change a DB. I'm largely in maintenance; occasionally have to add new circuits etc. so in respect to Testing this is all fairly straightforward to me.

I was thinking about DB changes earlier and started to stumble when it came to IR Testing

When I did 2391 a couple of years ago the instructor was very clear that you can't N/V or N/A on an EIC as this cert is used for initial verification of a system you've installed. so you're obliged to complete all relevant testing.

I can't work out how this works when you change a DB however. To complete the live to neutral IR testing you'd need to link out every single light fitting; FCU with neon; USB socket etc to avoid damage / to get a valid result? This doesn't seem viable - certainly in large domestic properties or high level warehouses etc.

Obviously on MWC you could viably link L+N together and test to E. But as I read the forms; you can't do this in an EIC as you'd be omitting a test?

or am I just forgetting something really basic?
The work you are verifying is the DB replacement only. As such sufficient inspection & testing to demonstrate that this has been done properly, and does not impair the safety of the existing installation, and that the safety of your work is not impaired by the existing installation is what is required. So there is no issue doing Live/Earth insulation resistance testing of the existing installation. You are not certifying the entire installation - merely the work you have carried out (i.e. replacement of the DB).

Reply to IR Testing & EIC in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net