Discuss Is a JIB Approved Electrician someone who has 2391 qualifications. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wireman357

Hello, the few jobs advertised are looking for electricians with 17th edition and 2391 qualifications.
I am getting a new JIB Approved card and was wondering if I should apply for these jobs?
What do you guys think?

This is pretty damn accurate.

unemployment1.gif

I think you may find that instead of an approved grade, you might only get graded as an installation electrican.
Obviously if you take and pass the 2391 then you will have the 2391, and then you should be eligable for the approved grade.

I hope that what they told me at the JIB is correct. The last card that I held was a JIB Approved card and I had to do a 17th edition test and ECS test in order for them to renew my card.
Does this mean that I have lost my grading and have been demoted to JIB Electrician?
If this is true, then I am sure that there will be, in the future, a way in which they manage to charge me hundreds of pounds for tests and certificates, in order to keep my JIB Electrician status.I remember being really proud when I got that JIB Approved card, I felt like I had really achieved something, after 4 years as an apprentice and 3 years after that as a JIB Electrician. Now, the *******s have taken it away from me, after over 20 years in the trade.

I think people such as your self should not have to be put through extra costs after acheiving your goals once you have your status that should be it yes updates to the regs etc but thats it
and after 20yrs in the trade that should be enough in anyones book

You would be graded as approved electrician if you have 2391 and have been working as a graded electrician for at least two years

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

I am in Scotland so I did the Select I&T and esc course with them as I already had my 17th and got my approved card that I have held for the past 30 years updated. This is supervised and managed by the SJIB I paid £25 ( I think) so they have records of my 14,15,16,&17th qualifications

Once you are graded as 'approved' that is it, there is no downgrading on card renewals, I found this out for a guy in similar circumstances, his card was 7 years out of date, no 2391-10 but received his approved grade once he'd done 2382 and ECS.

This carry on is the very thing I have banged on about for years like them or loathe them the JIB or SJIB in my case is the only constant in the last 30 + years for me
as they are a central register (in Scotland) for electricians this problem arises when anybody can be a teaching body and punch out various types of qualifications I have said it before and I will say it again there should be a standard central registration and for a yearly fee of say £20-£30 the JIB should manage admin this and for a further fee have a self employed register that just like when you buy road tax joe public can log on to see you are qualified and insured after that what more do you need in a free and open market it would also save having to be "registered" with A or B or even C because lets face it they take the money but can anybody tell me who has ever been struck off right now our industry needs credibility and we aint getting it with these registration companies who out of nothing but self interest want the present muddle to continue why ? because they make there living out of chaos not order and structure.

Iv got 2330 level2@3 17th 2391 part p (no NVQ3) card i can have Electricians mate/labourer

Every qual you've stated can be achieved by just attending a college/training centre, would that then make someone an electrician without practical experience? I don't think so!

You need NVQ L3 to be graded as electrician. It may stink if you have worked in the trade all your life I'm assuming?

Merely stating the grade i can, I agree on the NVQ3 part, 1. I'm to old to be a apprentice(37) 2. There are nt any Apprenticeships out there even if i was young enough. So I'm shafted and i ll never be able to get that part of the Qual. Oh and your comment on "can be achieved by just attending a college/training centre" I worked my balls off for my 2391 and isn't a case of JUST attending a course.
I'm just stating the system in place at the moment isn't in tune with the current climate. I'm not a short course wonder. I d lover the opportunity to do my NVQ L3 but sadly i cant see it happening.

Old JIB grading for you I guess? I have worked with blokes who've been approved for years and don't have 2391.

Look here JIB Grading Definitions - Approved Electrician Grade

It says exactly what I said

Correct have been registered with the JIB since the 1970s from apprentice up to an approved electrician

And that was when an apprentice had to fill in a log book of work he carried out just like what the NVQ 3 is about now.

Last edited:
I am not saying you are a four week wonder and can't do your job I was stating that some people can go to a training centre and get 2330, 2391 and 17th edition then would call themselves an electrician which in my opinion is wrong! that's why you should have practical experience to go with the quals! have you not thought about paying for the nvq yourself?

Hi Iq

i am thinking of enrolling for the NVQ before the end date and setting up with elecsa

what i want to ask when and if i eventually pass the nvq will i have to do the ecs safety test to satisfy the jib for electricians grade mate i dont have 2330

i have 2382-10 2391-10 2377, 2393-100 and a logic part p competence achievment cert and card for full and defined scopes electrical level A,B,C yes i know probably not worth the paper its written on

Or do you know any colleges that are going to ru the 2357 for adults
tried to get on 2330lv3 or lv2 and 3 but i am to late

could you advise me of the best course of action regarding getting the required quals

Hi Brucelee,

The JIB have an exemption for Level 3 NVQ's passed within a 5-year period prior to the assessment date.

The colleges and training centres seem to be 'up in the air' with the 2357 at the moment, there's some good information here: Diploma in Electrotechnology City and Guilds 2357 information page

My training involvment has only ever been 2391-10 but widdler might have more information on 2357?

I am not saying you are a four week wonder and can't do your job I was stating that some people can go to a training centre and get 2330, 2391 and 17th edition then would call themselves an electrician which in my opinion is wrong! that's why you should have practical experience to go with the quals! have you not thought about paying for the nvq yourself?

If no 1 is taking on i cant get practical experience/NVQ3
I can pay for it myself but as I'm not deem competent to work on 3 phase without a Qualified Electrician to watch me/guide. Hit a brick wall and feel as tho iv wasted my time and alot of cash.

I v been working for a sparky(1 man band) on and off for the last 2 years(For Free). I v applied for every job withing a 20 miles of my home( I live in a rural location) So I'm taking the plunge and starting up as a 1 man band myself and HOPING i get some local work. As we all no this 1.30p a litre is killing every one.
As I'm limited to house bashing and not stupid enough to play with 3 phase without any experience doing the NVQ 3 myself seems a tad pointless.
When i signed up for the course they didn't tell us all these problems we would encounter, Seems to be the college just wants as many bums on seats.
I did 3 days a week for my 2330 level 2 then when i asked half way through what we could do with this qual was told NOTHING you also need 17th 2382 2392/1 Building regs to join a governing body.
So i did all those only to come against the big obstacle of all NVQ. Its just annoying if i go for a job and they ask my JIB grading and its labourer.
Right my RANT is over :)

I v been working for a sparky(1 man band) on and off for the last 2 years(For Free). I v applied for every job withing a 20 miles of my home( I live in a rural location) So I'm taking the plunge and starting up as a 1 man band myself and HOPING i get some local work. As we all no this 1.30p a litre is killing every one.
As I'm limited to house bashing and not stupid enough to play with 3 phase without any experience doing the NVQ 3 myself seems a tad pointless.
When i signed up for the course they didn't tell us all these problems we would encounter, Seems to be the college just wants as many bums on seats.
I did 3 days a week for my 2330 level 2 then when i asked half way through what we could do with this qual was told NOTHING you also need 17th 2382 2392/1 Building regs to join a governing body.
So i did all those only to come against the big obstacle of all NVQ. Its just annoying if i go for a job and they ask my JIB grading and its labourer.
Right my RANT is over :)

Well Mattmoo you are half way their and why do you ask ? The only reason we are all where we are is because when we started the feckliss youth amongst us bailed out cos it was easy to stack shelves in a nice warm shop but the ones that did get through were taught self disapline standards and self determination. So my advice is stick in dont give up and remember you can run a part time electrical business along side the job you are doing to compement your earnings but you also need to get your name out their so you need to make up flyers, get yourself on the free trade sites build a web site get some cards printed and nurture your business along. I started up 8 months ago and let me tell at first it is not easy but again stick in because you dont want to stand in a pub and give the "I could have been a $%RFDE£%% you know"

PS if you want some info on flyers ect I will send you some templates

Iv been shamelessly selling myself to any 1 that will listen, Dropped of my card in every shop with 5 mile :) Pestered every builder i no ALOT, Thanks for the advice and yes could i steal tho templates off you?

Have you not thought about getting on with agency as a mate? it is tough because you are in a vicious circle as agency will want experienced improvers but you can't get a job to get experience!

Have you not thought about getting on with agency as a mate? it is tough because you are in a vicious circle as agency will want experienced improvers but you can't get a job to get experience!

Yeah but the works even further a field, They want you to supply all your own tools driver about 60 miles a day(each way)(We dont pay travel time) and pay you £7phr. Oh and you ve gotta have a JIB card 2391 17th. The price of Feul is crippling this country.
Agencys are leeches in IMO, Id rather sit at home or go work tesco's in the warm :)

I worked on the railway for 10 yrs and some bright spark found out about the "we pay your holiday pay in with your wages" Scam IE we found a way of not paying you while your on holiday.
I had a 5K pay out from said firm for constructive unfair dismissal :) Thus my hatred for agency's. They work for a company is that is paying well below the average wage for that job, take a Large slice for Admin fee's and you get peanuts. I do like see'in the same jobs over and over in the Jokecentre. Must have been an Electrician since the "first edition" be willing to travel to holland every day, Own van tools we dont pay for lodging or travel time. Must of worked for NASA have 2391. Oh and we guarantee to mess your wages up every week, But you ll deffo get it next week. We ve got a on going contract as many hours as you like!
Im Ranting again!

Reply to Is a JIB Approved Electrician someone who has 2391 qualifications. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net