Discuss Is this an electrical fault or something else? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

john512

When I use an electric blanket, and I have my feet on the blanket, and I am wearing headphones (which are plugged in), I hear an odd buzzing sound. The buzzing sound stops if I touch the wall or put my feet on the ground. Is current from the wires in the blanket passing through me or is this something else?

I tried a different blanket and I got the exact same thing, I don't know if this is dangerous.

It's unlikely to be dangerous, if the blankets (and whatever device the headphones are connected to) are in electrically sound condition. What is probably happening is that you are coupling a tiny amount of interference from the blanket element to whatever is feeding the headphones, via the capacitance between the blanket and you, and that between you and the phones. If it is something like a mobile phone on FM radio (which typically uses the heaphone cable also as the aerial, and/or the blanket control uses phase-angle control (like a dimmer) to regulate the heat, I would not be surprised at all. The interference current is minute, and can be dissipated even by very limited contact with ground as you describe.

What are the headphones connected to?

Do you have a green glow around your body, if you do, then all is well, if it turns red, then.........................:74:

Reply to Is this an electrical fault or something else? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Short version: does code specify a minimum distance from the panel to the first grounding rod, and if so, what is that distance? Long version...
Replies
Views
Before I pay an electrician to come check my work, I thought it worth a post here. I don't want to pay the cost of a small car for a whole-house...
Replies
Views
About 5 years ago during a full refurb on my house I re-wired the property myself (old aluminium wiring) in line with 17th edition. I had it all...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Sort of an interesting one. I had a call from a client to say she is getting a shock when using the shower. I told her not to use it and...
Replies
Views
Good evening, I have recently moved into a new home and I am having problems with the MCB/RCD tripping (Mem M6 Type 3 - 30mA). It intermittently...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock