Discuss Isolate consumer unit help in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

That is odd but yes it only isolates the line. Neutral for that earthing system is deemed to be at earth potential so you should be fine. The isolator at the consumer unit will isolate both poles. What is it you are doing?

Reactions: MDJ
Economy 7 supply at one time? That's the only time I've seen single pole isolation. One pole of the isolator for the 24 hour supply and the other for the 7 hour.

what work on the consumer unit are you looking to carry out veeks? let us know and I am sure between us all we can advise you

I’ve seen it a lot where someone, most likely the supplier on new builds, have only passed the line through the isolator and not the neutral.

What is the point of fitting a two pole isolator, and only wiring one side??

I hope part of the work is to put protection around the hole where the tails go into the board.

Yes… if you could let us know what you are planning to do… we can advise more.

Thanks for all the replies so far. I have very carefully opened the unit up and I suppose i could isolate it by switching the two switches on the right (circled in blue). I am looking to add a socket to connect a frame tv into so wont be drawing a lot of power. Previous owner had added an light for the cupboard and you can see the wire for it leaving at the top of the consumer unit, was hoping to do the same for the additional socket. Any advice at this point would be highly appreciated.

The switch circled in blue should already be off if the front cover of the CU has been removed!

Could have easily moved the isolator to the side of the meter, shortened the tails, and managed to find a grommet/gland for the CU.

Reply to Isolate consumer unit help in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net