Currently reading:
isolate manes

Discuss isolate manes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
imageedit__9299258489.jpg
I want to change my Consumer unit inside my flat ( I live in a 8o flats court) and in the image is the meter and a switch. AM i allowed to operate this switch on my own off to change my consumer unit and on after. or will I have to inform DNO or other authorities? thank you

If I have C&G 2365 Level 3 and over 3 years experience you may expect I know it kills and is dangerous and my questions are not of an adventurer, is just something 100%achevable just because Ive never done it before and I want to make it perfect I post here, but thank you anyway for acid remarks

Then you must not do the job then. Testing and producing an EIC is part of the job. It is also required that your are registered with a scheme so job can be notified for building regulation Part P. It is not just a case of terminating your line conductors in MCB's, all neutrals together, all cpc's together, switch on and hope for the best. No one else on here should be advocating that either.

Irina you have described ypourself as an Electrician in your profile and you don't know what an EIC is?

yes, I am an electrician and because Im new I know there are many things Ive never done as often as theyr abreviation became a jargon for me but aparently 2365 Level 3 prepared me to face any neache of the market If I may. Of course I cannot compare myself with so experienced and superior electricians like you...
Learned people have knowledge. SUccessful people have drive and faith, knowledge is to be found anywhere and everywhere

yes, I am an electrician and because Im new I know there are many things Ive never done as often as theyr abreviation became a jargon for me but aparently 2365 Level 3 prepared me to face any neache of the market If I may. Of course I cannot compare myself with so experienced and superior electricians like you...
Learned people have knowledge. SUccessful people have drive and faith, knowledge is to be found anywhere and everywhere

As has already been said, if you are not comfortable with the testing that needs to be carried out for this job, you should seek supervision when doing so.
That said, a fully qualified electrician with 3 years experience should be able to carry out this task with no difficulty.

i wish you all the best. don't take the comments so seriously. i'm sure all comments were made concerned for your safety. by all means, if you feel competent to do it safely, then go ahead, but i'd still advise you to have someone more experienced on hand to guide you through the more intricate parts of the job.it's not just the testing, things we have learnt through experience, sometimes the hard way, you may not have come across yet. for example, try this ( obviously with no power to the CU ) terminate your incoming tails, wait 5 minutes then give them a good wriggle and tug. 9 out of 10, they'll be loose. that's the main reason for the metal CUs being mandated in amd.3. there's loads more if you browse the forum.

So, to take the valuable advice that I shouldnt guess if that big sxitch is in between the supply and meter or between the meter and the feed to my flat. How I should prove myself where it sits? as long as all I can see is a switch to be operated and a meter. AM I allowed to open this box called switch and see which wires goes where? or how would you more experienced guys do?

is a site for pretenders, no one said anything about practical impact of these tests just intimidations: dont do it, youre not allowed, you re not supposed to, you are not qualified, you are not this you are not that... just what always happened in my career, no one would share smoething because of competition, to show me , to intimidate me they know something I dont know. Dont worry Ill manage save your knowledge guys Ill find all I need , Ill pay for it dont worry

Irina - you are a new member here and we have little to no knowledge of your level and experience, by the very nature of your question and replies it is clear you are out of your comfort zone and lack experience in this area, please do not take this as a reflection on you as a whole, you may be well experienced and competent in others areas. We have to make a judgement call and from your replies it does come across (correct me If I'm wrong) that your not fully confident doing a full testing of the existing installation on your own, if this is the case then my advice remains, you need to get someone competent, not to do the work and test for you but to assist you so you learn.
It would be impractical to try do this through a forum and your approach, testing sequence and interpretation of the reading need to be viewed on site to ensure any guidance can be given there and then, this is the best approach to gain experience and confidence hence my recommendation.

Responding in this manner will win you no favours and will only lead to abrasive replies and possible action from a staff member.

As a forum we need to ensure the advice given is the best we can for the circumstances and where we have uncertainty regarding the competence or experience of a member to do work to which (s)he is enquiring about then we have to air on the side of caution unless it is shown otherwise, we apologise if you feel you competence has been undermined or belittled in anyway as that was not the intention.

Please refrain from abrasive responses and if you feel a member has offended you then press the report option at the bottom of the post you have issues with.

yes thats what I thought myself as well. activate the switch and see wht happens. But some people told me there are parts of the installation I might not be allowed to touch. SO my question is this switch (in the picture) that is in the basement allocated to my flat that is at 1st floor , so is this switch a switched designed and with a clear purpose to be operated by electricians without the need to inform DNO?

All I ask was if I can, If ai may, if I am allowed to operate this switch in the image, nothing else, the other words explained the purpose of operating the switch.
DO I need a special training to find out if I can operate the switch in the figure? do I need to address or to inform authorities to operate this switch in the picture? thats the question.

yes thats what I thought myself as well. activate the switch and see wht happens. But some people told me there are parts of the installation I might not be allowed to touch. SO my question is this switch (in the picture) that is in the basement allocated to my flat that is at 1st floor , so is this switch a switched designed and with a clear purpose to be operated by electricians without the need to inform DNO?

Are you 100% sure you are a UK Level 3 sparky?

I am not trying to to change my CU through a forum
I am not trying to do my testing through a forum
through a forum I lounched a simple question:
is the switch in the picture to be operated by an electrician without the need to inform and ask the DNO permision? yes or no. thats the only question I put on this site. rest is just speaking about why I want to do this

and still, out of so many brilliant worthy to be praised electrician minds that are putting me down here on this forum , no one said as yet:
*hey you, by its construction this switch is designed and put there to be operated
or
*no, you re not supposed to touch it because this and this that shows in the figure
so none of you , much more experienced is 100% sure and confident what is the purpose and who is allowed to operate it in case I might not be allowed

Reply to isolate manes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock