Discuss isolate manes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
imageedit__9299258489.jpg
I want to change my Consumer unit inside my flat ( I live in a 8o flats court) and in the image is the meter and a switch. AM i allowed to operate this switch on my own off to change my consumer unit and on after. or will I have to inform DNO or other authorities? thank you

if that switch serves just your flat and is after the DNO meter, then you can isolate it, lock it off then get on. i assume that you are competent to install a CU, including producing a EIC.

the switch serves onlhy my flat but I dont know if the switch is between the supply and the metter ot between the metter and cable is going up to feed my Consumer Unit. I am confident to change a consumer unit but I have no idea what is a EIC. Please reveal to me about this enigmatic term : EIC. Thank you

the switch serves onlhy my flat but I dont know if the switch is between the supply and the metter ot between the metter and cable is going up to feed my Consumer Unit. I am confident to change a consumer unit but I have no idea what is a EIC. Please reveal to me about this enigmatic term : EIC. Thank you

It's the certificate you will fill out that includes all the test results you will record from the thorough testing you are going to carry out with the calibrated tester you have. Right before you notify the work to building control.

Up to regulation new consumer units will more than likely be metal and have rcd protection, before even considering changing the board, you would need to do a full test of the installation to ensure -

A -It is safe
B -The earthing and bonding is up to standards
C -Circuits test clear of any issues that would trip the rcd units like earth leakage or borrowed neutrals.

Only when a full test has been done and both earth and circuits confirmed would you then change the board, doing a board change without testing is asking for trouble and can leave you unable to power circuits up.

I am confident to change a consumer unit but I have no idea what is a EIC.

Then you must not do the job then. Testing and producing an EIC is part of the job. It is also required that your are registered with a scheme so job can be notified for building regulation Part P. It is not just a case of terminating your line conductors in MCB's, all neutrals together, all cpc's together, switch on and hope for the best. No one else on here should be advocating that either.

but if I think logically, this switch is operative with the purpose of being operated, and there is no barriere or restriciton to its operation. SO I would assume I can operate it

There is no reason why YOU cannot operate the switch.

It's what you do afterwards that needs careful consideration.

but if I think logically, this switch is operative with the purpose of being operated, and there is no barriere or restriciton to its operation. SO I would assume I can operate it
Again, this is why you should not be doing it. An electrician does not assume anything. An electrician would trace out what is feeding what and would know what it is feeding. I expect you are going to do it anyway so you will soon find out.

Last edited:
I 100% agree with you about all accurate and thorough tests. Would you be interested to assist me (via internet) with the testing? I have my 1653B Fluke tester and I will find somewhere some papers to write the resaults.

tbh if you are not competent to do this, including the testing, then get someone who is.

I 100% agree with you about all accurate and thorough tests. Would you be interested to assist me (via internet) with the testing? I have my 1653B Fluke tester and I will find somewhere some papers to write the resaults.
Ask Admin to join the trainee section on here. Hang fire on changing your fuseboard for a bit. You will be much better placed to do it once you understand a bit more of what is required.

Your profile says you have your level 3, so you have had some training but what worries me is you seem unsure or lack confidence to do the testing, you also didn't recognise what an EIC was, this leads me to advise that you work under the supervision on a competent person until you attain enough onsite experience to have the knowledge and confidence to do it yourself. We all had to learn the trade but trying to skip essential learning under supervision may see you make some costly mistakes.
The forum is happy to help with members queries and questions but we will not allow the forum to be used for a step by step guide to do your intended work so please seek a local competent person to give onsite support and guidance.

If you are still on an active training course then I would recommend you apply for our Trainee section where we do go a little further with the help we offer and we have a selected group of mentors to help you.

Last edited:
I dont ask anhyone to take responsability for what I intend to do
I dont expect others to take responsability for what I want to do
I Have some experience wowrking for others and I move towards working for myself. there are things Ive never done before and would be lovely to have some support and encuragement. Because I always share what I know I imagine others find a pleasure in sharing what they know. Is not rocket science and nothing will stay in my way, I will find what I need. Dont you worry. Maybe this is not a site for electricians but for banters

it may not be rocket science, but electricity kills just as well as a scud missile. from the tone of your posts, it appears that you are not yet ready to do work of this magnitude unsupervised. advice has been given. take it or leave it. i'm out.

I dont ask anhyone to take responsability for what I intend to do
I dont expect others to take responsability for what I want to do
I Have some experience wowrking for others and I move towards working for myself. there are things Ive never done before and would be lovely to have some support and encuragement. Because I always share what I know I imagine others find a pleasure in sharing what they know. Is not rocket science and nothing will stay in my way, I will find what I need. Dont you worry. Maybe this is not a site for electricians but for banters

This is indeed a site for electricians. It's not a site to encourage and advise inexperienced and possibly incompetent people how to do electrical work though.
Simple rule, if you are not sure how to do it safely and properly without supervision then you probably shouldn't be doing it unsupervised.

is a site for pretenders, no one said anything about practical impact of these tests just intimidations: dont do it, youre not allowed, you re not supposed to, you are not qualified, you are not this you are not that... just what always happened in my career, no one would share smoething because of competition, to show me , to intimidate me they know something I dont know. Dont worry Ill manage save your knowledge guys Ill find all I need , Ill pay for it dont worry

Reply to isolate manes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net