Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss isolate manes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
imageedit__9299258489.jpg
I want to change my Consumer unit inside my flat ( I live in a 8o flats court) and in the image is the meter and a switch. AM i allowed to operate this switch on my own off to change my consumer unit and on after. or will I have to inform DNO or other authorities? thank you

if that switch serves just your flat and is after the DNO meter, then you can isolate it, lock it off then get on. i assume that you are competent to install a CU, including producing a EIC.

the switch serves onlhy my flat but I dont know if the switch is between the supply and the metter ot between the metter and cable is going up to feed my Consumer Unit. I am confident to change a consumer unit but I have no idea what is a EIC. Please reveal to me about this enigmatic term : EIC. Thank you

the switch serves onlhy my flat but I dont know if the switch is between the supply and the metter ot between the metter and cable is going up to feed my Consumer Unit. I am confident to change a consumer unit but I have no idea what is a EIC. Please reveal to me about this enigmatic term : EIC. Thank you

It's the certificate you will fill out that includes all the test results you will record from the thorough testing you are going to carry out with the calibrated tester you have. Right before you notify the work to building control.

Up to regulation new consumer units will more than likely be metal and have rcd protection, before even considering changing the board, you would need to do a full test of the installation to ensure -

A -It is safe
B -The earthing and bonding is up to standards
C -Circuits test clear of any issues that would trip the rcd units like earth leakage or borrowed neutrals.

Only when a full test has been done and both earth and circuits confirmed would you then change the board, doing a board change without testing is asking for trouble and can leave you unable to power circuits up.

I am confident to change a consumer unit but I have no idea what is a EIC.

Then you must not do the job then. Testing and producing an EIC is part of the job. It is also required that your are registered with a scheme so job can be notified for building regulation Part P. It is not just a case of terminating your line conductors in MCB's, all neutrals together, all cpc's together, switch on and hope for the best. No one else on here should be advocating that either.

but if I think logically, this switch is operative with the purpose of being operated, and there is no barriere or restriciton to its operation. SO I would assume I can operate it

There is no reason why YOU cannot operate the switch.

It's what you do afterwards that needs careful consideration.

but if I think logically, this switch is operative with the purpose of being operated, and there is no barriere or restriciton to its operation. SO I would assume I can operate it
Again, this is why you should not be doing it. An electrician does not assume anything. An electrician would trace out what is feeding what and would know what it is feeding. I expect you are going to do it anyway so you will soon find out.

Last edited:
I 100% agree with you about all accurate and thorough tests. Would you be interested to assist me (via internet) with the testing? I have my 1653B Fluke tester and I will find somewhere some papers to write the resaults.

tbh if you are not competent to do this, including the testing, then get someone who is.

I 100% agree with you about all accurate and thorough tests. Would you be interested to assist me (via internet) with the testing? I have my 1653B Fluke tester and I will find somewhere some papers to write the resaults.
Ask Admin to join the trainee section on here. Hang fire on changing your fuseboard for a bit. You will be much better placed to do it once you understand a bit more of what is required.

Your profile says you have your level 3, so you have had some training but what worries me is you seem unsure or lack confidence to do the testing, you also didn't recognise what an EIC was, this leads me to advise that you work under the supervision on a competent person until you attain enough onsite experience to have the knowledge and confidence to do it yourself. We all had to learn the trade but trying to skip essential learning under supervision may see you make some costly mistakes.
The forum is happy to help with members queries and questions but we will not allow the forum to be used for a step by step guide to do your intended work so please seek a local competent person to give onsite support and guidance.

If you are still on an active training course then I would recommend you apply for our Trainee section where we do go a little further with the help we offer and we have a selected group of mentors to help you.

Last edited:
I dont ask anhyone to take responsability for what I intend to do
I dont expect others to take responsability for what I want to do
I Have some experience wowrking for others and I move towards working for myself. there are things Ive never done before and would be lovely to have some support and encuragement. Because I always share what I know I imagine others find a pleasure in sharing what they know. Is not rocket science and nothing will stay in my way, I will find what I need. Dont you worry. Maybe this is not a site for electricians but for banters

it may not be rocket science, but electricity kills just as well as a scud missile. from the tone of your posts, it appears that you are not yet ready to do work of this magnitude unsupervised. advice has been given. take it or leave it. i'm out.

I dont expect others to take responsability for what I want to do
I Have some experience wowrking for others and I move towards working for myself. there are things Ive never done before and would be lovely to have some support and encuragement. Because I always share what I know I imagine others find a pleasure in sharing what they know. Is not rocket science and nothing will stay in my way, I will find what I need. Dont you worry. Maybe this is not a site for electricians but for banters

This is indeed a site for electricians. It's not a site to encourage and advise inexperienced and possibly incompetent people how to do electrical work though.
Simple rule, if you are not sure how to do it safely and properly without supervision then you probably shouldn't be doing it unsupervised.

is a site for pretenders, no one said anything about practical impact of these tests just intimidations: dont do it, youre not allowed, you re not supposed to, you are not qualified, you are not this you are not that... just what always happened in my career, no one would share smoething because of competition, to show me , to intimidate me they know something I dont know. Dont worry Ill manage save your knowledge guys Ill find all I need , Ill pay for it dont worry

If I have C&G 2365 Level 3 and over 3 years experience you may expect I know it kills and is dangerous and my questions are not of an adventurer, is just something 100%achevable just because Ive never done it before and I want to make it perfect I post here, but thank you anyway for acid remarks

Then you must not do the job then. Testing and producing an EIC is part of the job. It is also required that your are registered with a scheme so job can be notified for building regulation Part P. It is not just a case of terminating your line conductors in MCB's, all neutrals together, all cpc's together, switch on and hope for the best. No one else on here should be advocating that either.

Irina you have described ypourself as an Electrician in your profile and you don't know what an EIC is?

yes, I am an electrician and because Im new I know there are many things Ive never done as often as theyr abreviation became a jargon for me but aparently 2365 Level 3 prepared me to face any neache of the market If I may. Of course I cannot compare myself with so experienced and superior electricians like you...
Learned people have knowledge. SUccessful people have drive and faith, knowledge is to be found anywhere and everywhere

yes, I am an electrician and because Im new I know there are many things Ive never done as often as theyr abreviation became a jargon for me but aparently 2365 Level 3 prepared me to face any neache of the market If I may. Of course I cannot compare myself with so experienced and superior electricians like you...
Learned people have knowledge. SUccessful people have drive and faith, knowledge is to be found anywhere and everywhere

As has already been said, if you are not comfortable with the testing that needs to be carried out for this job, you should seek supervision when doing so.
That said, a fully qualified electrician with 3 years experience should be able to carry out this task with no difficulty.

i wish you all the best. don't take the comments so seriously. i'm sure all comments were made concerned for your safety. by all means, if you feel competent to do it safely, then go ahead, but i'd still advise you to have someone more experienced on hand to guide you through the more intricate parts of the job.it's not just the testing, things we have learnt through experience, sometimes the hard way, you may not have come across yet. for example, try this ( obviously with no power to the CU ) terminate your incoming tails, wait 5 minutes then give them a good wriggle and tug. 9 out of 10, they'll be loose. that's the main reason for the metal CUs being mandated in amd.3. there's loads more if you browse the forum.

So, to take the valuable advice that I shouldnt guess if that big sxitch is in between the supply and meter or between the meter and the feed to my flat. How I should prove myself where it sits? as long as all I can see is a switch to be operated and a meter. AM I allowed to open this box called switch and see which wires goes where? or how would you more experienced guys do?

is a site for pretenders, no one said anything about practical impact of these tests just intimidations: dont do it, youre not allowed, you re not supposed to, you are not qualified, you are not this you are not that... just what always happened in my career, no one would share smoething because of competition, to show me , to intimidate me they know something I dont know. Dont worry Ill manage save your knowledge guys Ill find all I need , Ill pay for it dont worry

Irina - you are a new member here and we have little to no knowledge of your level and experience, by the very nature of your question and replies it is clear you are out of your comfort zone and lack experience in this area, please do not take this as a reflection on you as a whole, you may be well experienced and competent in others areas. We have to make a judgement call and from your replies it does come across (correct me If I'm wrong) that your not fully confident doing a full testing of the existing installation on your own, if this is the case then my advice remains, you need to get someone competent, not to do the work and test for you but to assist you so you learn.
It would be impractical to try do this through a forum and your approach, testing sequence and interpretation of the reading need to be viewed on site to ensure any guidance can be given there and then, this is the best approach to gain experience and confidence hence my recommendation.

Responding in this manner will win you no favours and will only lead to abrasive replies and possible action from a staff member.

As a forum we need to ensure the advice given is the best we can for the circumstances and where we have uncertainty regarding the competence or experience of a member to do work to which (s)he is enquiring about then we have to air on the side of caution unless it is shown otherwise, we apologise if you feel you competence has been undermined or belittled in anyway as that was not the intention.

Please refrain from abrasive responses and if you feel a member has offended you then press the report option at the bottom of the post you have issues with.

yes thats what I thought myself as well. activate the switch and see wht happens. But some people told me there are parts of the installation I might not be allowed to touch. SO my question is this switch (in the picture) that is in the basement allocated to my flat that is at 1st floor , so is this switch a switched designed and with a clear purpose to be operated by electricians without the need to inform DNO?

All I ask was if I can, If ai may, if I am allowed to operate this switch in the image, nothing else, the other words explained the purpose of operating the switch.
DO I need a special training to find out if I can operate the switch in the figure? do I need to address or to inform authorities to operate this switch in the picture? thats the question.

yes thats what I thought myself as well. activate the switch and see wht happens. But some people told me there are parts of the installation I might not be allowed to touch. SO my question is this switch (in the picture) that is in the basement allocated to my flat that is at 1st floor , so is this switch a switched designed and with a clear purpose to be operated by electricians without the need to inform DNO?

Are you 100% sure you are a UK Level 3 sparky?

I am not trying to to change my CU through a forum
I am not trying to do my testing through a forum
through a forum I lounched a simple question:
is the switch in the picture to be operated by an electrician without the need to inform and ask the DNO permision? yes or no. thats the only question I put on this site. rest is just speaking about why I want to do this

and still, out of so many brilliant worthy to be praised electrician minds that are putting me down here on this forum , no one said as yet:
*hey you, by its construction this switch is designed and put there to be operated
or
*no, you re not supposed to touch it because this and this that shows in the figure
so none of you , much more experienced is 100% sure and confident what is the purpose and who is allowed to operate it in case I might not be allowed

I have asked the OP to tone down responses and this applies to all other members too, if you are not posting to help the OP or asking for more info then please don't post, we do not appreciate negative comments that add nothing to the thread other than to rub the OP up the wrong way.

Irina - if you are confident this Isolator is only for your flat then switch it off, if you need to confirm the order of the meter and isolator then removing the trunking lid may help you follow the tails to do so.

Well ok. First you must make sure that the switch that you isolate is only isolating your supply. Switching it Off and on again , especially if there is a delay could cause someone else inconvenience or even danger.

To slow lol.

Last edited:
That makes so much sense. Thank you very much I learned a great thing: I am allowed to open the lead of the trunking to see if wires from switch go to feed the flat or enter the meter.
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. Very kind of you.
My best wishes and warm regards

Does the communal equipment belong to you as a flat owner or does it remain the property of the building owner ? As such do you have permission to take off trunking lids and operate isolators ? Is there anything stated in any agreements between building owners and the flat owners as to work of this type and prior notification and permission ?

Hi Irena.

.....Would you be interested to assist me (via internet) with the testing? I have my 1653B Fluke tester and I will find somewhere some papers to write the resaults.
Unfortunately testing of circuits cannot be done without being hands-on, Remote assistance isn't a safe option, there's too many variables involved.

So, to take the valuable advice that I shouldnt guess if that big sxitch is in between the supply and meter or between the meter and the feed to my flat. How I should prove myself where it sits? as long as all I can see is a switch to be operated and a meter. AM I allowed to open this box called switch and see which wires goes where? or how would you more experienced guys do?
The isolator switch in your picture could be performing any one of many functions. It could be serving several premises or it could even be redundant or not serving your premises. Unless you can assess correctly how any system or circuit is configured it's not safe to be working on it.

....I am confident to change a consumer unit but I have no idea what is a EIC. Please reveal to me about this enigmatic term : EIC. Thank you
There's a legal requirement to perform a schedule of tests and submit appropriate paperwork and notify the work.

I dont expect others to take responsability for what I want to doI.......
If you are so concerned why you dont give me some technical advice not some avoidance advice? and it is a wise man who ignores the advice of wise man fooled by their own selfishness
It's not about secret knowledge, you're asking people to assist you in something that can end with tragic consequences when it sounds like you're not going to do it legally and are unlikely to be able to do it safely.

I am not trying to to change my CU through a forum
I am not trying to do my testing through a forum
through a forum I lounched a simple question:
is the switch in the picture to be operated by an electrician without the need to inform and ask the DNO permision? yes or no. thats the only question I put on this site. rest is just speaking about why I want to do this
Yes, your question is simple enough but your overall intent is questionable.

I'm going to close this thread because I'm worried your not experienced enough to do the work safely and I'm also concerned about how you would or whether you would notify the CU change which is a firm legal requirement.

My best advice is to consult with one of the experienced sparkies you've worked with or worked for in the past. Get him/her to assess the best way to go forward with the job. You could then do the bulk of the work yourself and then they could give you some guidance with the final testing and notification of the work.

Last edited:

Reply to isolate manes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net