Discuss Jib card Ecs gold in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I agree Dave but it's not about knowledge these days it's about what you can do! I suppose the jib have got it right in some ways by saying that the NVQ proves competence it was 20 odd yrs ago when I was at college and can't remember a lot!

That's my point it should be what you can do, and some onsite log with photographs that anybody could may have done don't prove diddly.Now you talk about college, when I done the 236 it was 50% practical as well as Electrical theory, that tide in with the other 4days a week on site, was the way and don't forget when it was time to sit the written exam, if you fail your practical course work it was deferred full stop.That IMO was a very full prove way of demonstrating competence.

Anybody can take an picture and say, yeah look what I have done, nonsense utterly.

Yeah but the point TJ Anderson is making is that they accept the nvq as your underpinning knowledge has already been proved as you have to have your tech certs to enrole on the nvq or would have to do the extended nvq which would include the underpinning knowledge....you wouldn't need the nvq as you done the 236 A,B and C which was before the nvq was brought in. I don't think the nvq was introduced untill 1999. I personaly think having the jib is good thing as they don't budge on what's required to be classed as an electrician and certainly won't entertain no micky mouse Electrical Trainee qualifications.

Last edited:
Yeah but the point TJ Anderson is making is that they accept the nvq as your underpinning knowledge has already been proved as you have to have your tech certs to enrole on the nvq or would have to do the extended nvq which would include the underpinning knowledge....you wouldn't need the nvq as you done the 236 A,B and C which was before the nvq was brought in. I don't think the nvq was introduced untill 1999. I personaly think having the jib is good thing as they don't budge on what's required to be classed as an electrician and certainly won't entertain no micky mouse Electrical Trainee
qualifications.

couldnt agree more been with the jib on and off since I was an apprentice and to be honest the last 2 sites I have been on and the one I'm on now won't even let you near it without a gold card so it's definitely the way to go these days for anyone entering the trade!

Yeah but the point TJ Anderson is making is that they accept the nvq as your underpinning knowledge has already been proved as you have to have your tech certs to enrole on the nvq or would have to do the extended nvq which would include the underpinning knowledge....you wouldn't need the nvq as you done the 236 A,B and C which was before the nvq was brought in. I don't think the nvq was introduced untill 1999. I personaly think having the jib is good thing as they don't budge on what's required to be classed as an electrician and certainly won't entertain no micky mouse Electrical Trainee qualifications.

I have read posts on here with guys having the C&G 236 abc, an still only getting an JIB labourer's card.? Not understanding this, That core qualification was- is an bloody good standard,anyway just gone onto the JIB website to look for myself, and the way I am reading it, with the older quals you will be graded, with gold card one off,but it will only run for 18months, after that NVQ required, otherwise you will graded as an labourer.

I have read posts on here with guys having the C&G 236 abc, an still only getting an JIB labourer's card.? Not understanding this, That core qualification was- is an bloody good standard,anyway just gone onto the JIB website to look for myself, and the way I am reading it, with the older quals you will be graded, with gold card one off,but it will only run for 18months, after that NVQ required, otherwise you will graded as an labourer.

yes hence the reason I did the NVQ as I didn't want it to come back and bite me later down the line and it clearly states that a tech cert alone does not meet the requirements of the NVQ it's very confusing the way I understood it if you have the NVQ in place then you are fine regardless of weither you have a seperate tech cert or not!

If you look at the ecscard website It says that if you qualified before 1994 then a copy of your final apprenticeship deeds or apprenticeship completion certificate is needed along with a current H&S certificate or recognised H&S qualification and a formal BS7671 qualification in the current addition of the wiring regs.

Any one who has provided the above with their application would be eligible for a installation electricians gold card. If they haven't been graded as such then they either haven't provided the correct information, filled the application in wrong or the JIB have made a mistake.

A close friend of mine completed his apprenticeship in 1989. Recently he sent of his application and got sent an adult trainees card lol....anyway phoned the JIB they confirmed it was a mistake and within a week was sent his gold card.

yes hence the reason I did the NVQ as I didn't want it to come back and bite me later down the line and it clearly states that a tech cert alone does not meet the requirements of the NVQ it's very confusing the way I understood it if you have the NVQ in place then you are fine regardless of weither you have a seperate tech cert or not!

The NVQ3 is your site diary evidence (practical competence) plus your tech cert. You can't complete the NVQ3 without the separate tech cert.
I did the qualifications separately, but they bundle all into one course nowadays.

This is how I understand the great big mess of qualifications anyway, lol. I may be wrong

The NVQ3 is your site diary evidence (practical competence) plus your tech cert. You can't complete the NVQ3 without the separate tech cert.
I did the qualifications separately, but they bundle all into one course nowadays.

This is how I understand the great big mess of qualifications anyway, lol. I may be wrong

I see what your saying but from what leesparkykent is saying is that you can acheive the NVQ by covering the underpinning knowledge once enrolled in the NVQ I think??the older NVQ 2356 that is??

Thats what I had as well Dave , the 236 parts 1 & 2 (A+B), didn't take the C course though but wish I had , and got an initial JIB card as Electrician later in 2002 I took 2391 and got the card upgraded to Approved Electrician Gold card , I too heard that a time limit was in place when this could be done thats why I had to do the 2391 fairly quick , I don't know what applies today though if you go the same route with older qualifications and want a JIB card now

I see what your saying but from what leesparkykent is saying is that you can acheive the NVQ by covering the underpinning knowledge once enrolled in the NVQ I think??the older NVQ 2356 that is??

Yes that's correct but obviously you wouldn't complete the NVQ untill the the underpining knowledge part was also complete. Now its all enrolled in to one qualification for apprentices..nvq2357 level 3 which basically includes the underpinning knowledge (like part 1 part 2),AM2 and portfolio.

NVQ was brought in the year I started my apprenticeship. Sept 94. There was total confusion at the college I attended. We did the c and g 236 1 and 2. Also we did AM1 and AM2. All the boys in my class left college with these quals however no one passed the NVQ. It took about 3 years to get the log books drawn up and handed to us. By that time we had gone through college and left. Some people said we needed the NVQ some said we didn't. I thought sod it, I left now and as far as I was concerned I had the same quals as the guys I was working with. My cousin who passed out as an electrician in 1993 had the same quals as me. We both sent off for a JIB card. He got one and they said I could have a labourers card, because after 1994 I should have an NVQ. They even put NVQ 3 on my cousins card!!! Even tho he hadn't done it. Loads of young boys must have been in the same boat as me around 1997. Since then I bit the bullet paid £550 to XS training and gained my NVQ and JIB card. I looked a bit of a knob going around and asking apprentices and other workmates to take photos of me next to work I had installed!! Apprentices were saying how come your telling me what to do if your not even qualified!! Haha. It was embarrassing

I know there was a lot of confusion around that time because an apprentice I had with me had all sorts of problems , he did a distance learning apprenticeship too and a JTL type thing as well ...

It seems to me they have confused thing too much now...

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2330 and apprenticeship was cut short after fighting with my mentor and taking the van back to the yard leaving him stranded lol. I did 2356 without a tech cert and did extra units. 2356, 17th and 2391 is all I sent to JIB. I have a JIB Approved grade card.

My 2330 and apprenticeship was cut short after fighting with my mentor and taking the van back to the yard leaving him stranded lol. I did 2356 without a tech cert and did extra units. 2356, 17th and 2391 is all I sent to JIB. I have a JIB Approved grade card.

it does seem now that's all they want but the NVQ is now the bent mark

Said many times on here that I still don't have it. My apprenticeship was a bit unofficial, and I paid most of it myself, as a result I never enrolled to do the nvq due to money. The qualification now needed is the 2357 which as far as I'm aware, blends the new 2330 into it but if you have the 2330, you can do a bridging unit which takes you straight to the NVQ part. It does grate me that we're virtually ungraded in the eyes of the JIB until we've taken a few pictures and done the AM2, but I assume I'll be glad when I've done it and got my approved gold card.

Thing is as well, nobody outside the trade seems to know anything about the JIB, and I think it would help if the general public knew that it was a better indicator of competency than a domestic installer registration.

Said many times on here that I still don't have it. My apprenticeship was a bit unofficial, and I paid most of it myself, as a result I never enrolled to do the nvq due to money. The qualification now needed is the 2357 which as far as I'm aware, blends the new 2330 into it but if you have the 2330, you can do a bridging unit which takes you straight to the NVQ part. It does grate me that we're virtually ungraded in the eyes of the JIB until we've taken a few pictures and done the AM2, but I assume I'll be glad when I've done it and got my approved gold card.

Thing is as well, nobody outside the trade seems to know anything about the JIB, and I think it would help if the general public knew that it was a better indicator of competency than a domestic installer registration.
IMO if you are working on new site builds then yes go for it, otherwise why bother.

You could do the jib mature candidate assessment.

I think it's a case of just bite the bullet and do the NVQ as for the AM2 I did the AM1 and to be honest looking at what's involved in the AM2 these days it's pretty much the old AM1!!

Reply to Jib card Ecs gold in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net