Discuss joist cabling routes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

if theres plenty ov existing holes to choose from...be sure to use the ones that are at least 50mm from the top or bottom edges though wont you Phill.....
it is generally better to utilise existing holes rather than start drilling new ones as well.....dont forget you will be responsible to maintain the structural integrity of the building fabric....this would include any joists...

Haha cheers lads, this is for the first fix in my own property and going through LBC so don't want to give the inspector any excuses to spit his dummy out. And any new holes I drill will be within the tolerances but wasn't sure if I could use the old If they don't comply with the current regs. Plus how would I prove I didn't drill any holes that don't comply! Pics maybe?

Picture's wont prove alot either...the condition/colour of the timber should be enough for any inspector with half an ounce of commonsense.

I can see what you're saying though, but im sure like glenn said, the inspector would rather you use old (not up to current standard) holes than drill newones that comply.

If you're still unsure ring up and enquire.

Yeah I think that is the best bet mark, just thought I'd get the heads up off the domestic lads first.
Thanks again..appreciate the help everyone

Haha cheers lads, this is for the first fix in my own property and going through LBC so don't want to give the inspector any excuses to spit his dummy out. And any new holes I drill will be within the tolerances but wasn't sure if I could use the old If they don't comply with the current regs. Plus how would I prove I didn't drill any holes that don't comply! Pics maybe?

Just to clarify, are you asking if you could re-use old holes that don't comply with current regs? I may have misunderstood the original question. Daz

If there are existing holes in the 'wrong' place wouldn't it be better to use them and protect them with metal plates, rather than weakening the joist further with another hole?

DPG yes that's the question, and I'm all for using the existing holes if they are 50mm deep just so you don't drill more and weaken the joist further, weather LBC will go with this I am not sure. Ill give them a bell tomoz.

With 'regs' like these, the specs they are saying are massively over engineered (for want of a better phrase).
You could cut a joist all the way through in the middle of a floor, with all the boards nailed down, it wouldn't collapse!
My house, 1910ish, joists have holes and notches all over the place, strangely enough I haven't fallen through the floor yet.

if holes not 50mm deep you can get these metal plates (not sure what they are called) from wholesalers to go on top of joist over shallow holes

With 'regs' like these, the specs they are saying are massively over engineered (for want of a better phrase).
You could cut a joist all the way through in the middle of a floor, with all the boards nailed down, it wouldn't collapse!
My house, 1910ish, joists have holes and notches all over the place, strangely enough I haven't fallen through the floor yet.

Move your house to Whitby, you'll soon follow through.

If you get asked what area of the joist that can be used , the answer is between .2 and .4 off the span off the joists , supposed to be the optimum area for least stress , oh and also the hole size is to be no more than one fifth the height off the joist , I was asked these Questions on a visit......

to fit those metal plates you need to cut the top of the joist to flush them in
am i right or not right, am i wrong?

unless you want your floorboard to be 3mm higher than the rest. Daz

I have not used then for years but we never did (dont think you should) and you could not tell with old boards but not sure with chip board sheets but would not think so

Reply to joist cabling routes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net