Discuss Just joined Elecsa (no thanks to dodgy builder) in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sav

Hi everyone,

Well, I'm in !!! Elecsa assesment went well........just about.

2 weeks ago, I had my full scope with Elecsa. The assesor, Trevor was a fantastic guy. He came along with Keith (an observor he said).. great thought !!

Anyway, after 2 cups of tea and the formal stuff out the way, Trevor questioned me on RCD tripping times, Earthing arrangements, TNS and differences between other supplies etc etc. All went well and both Trevor and Kevin very happy.

Lets go to the site.. The site was an office/ storage extension in a house and c/u change.
I had left the kitchen and c/u perfect before I left that week. The builder said he was going on holiday and I had the keys to the house which was empty..fantastic.

We got there, and to my horror, the floor joists had been replaced and my cables which were all neatly in plastic conduit, were all over the place !!!! My cables which were all neatl running through the joists, had now been clipped underneath in a haphazard way !!! I could not appologise enough to the assesors !! I rang the builder straight away, who said that there was a damp problem and some of the joists had to be replaced, not just that, they put some kind of rubber sealant all over the cables, which were squashed against the joists, this thew out all my ZS readings !!! Anyway, I got 30 days to rectify the problems and send in photo evidence, which I did and I got a B ( I was going to get an A ) !!!

Still they saw the funny side of this and said it had happened to them as well whilst they were sparks !!!
All in all I would recommend Elecsa to anyone and would say they are fantasic understanding people...they would be after my nightmare !!

Best regards,

Sav

Well done :D

Out of interest, can I ask if they observed you carrying out any inspection and testing, and were there any q's about testing methods?

Did mine back in April and was asked to take a Ze , r1, r2, then explain the readings and show this when L and E were cross linked (r1 + r2 / 4 ). The assessor was always asking small questions throughout the assessment. Best option is to kow it off the top of your head, or keep the OSG handy for reference.

Hi again,
Same as Graeme. Did Ze, insulation resistance, RCD tests etc, but as install was tampered with, could not get correct Zs's .

Had all my books with me and made a point of looking at OSG and BS7671, so that he could see that I was refering to the correct sections.

Great guys though.

Sav

Have to agree with Sav. I've just had my full scope assessment with Elecsa. Also had an assesor called Trevor, same guy? He was a fantastic guy though. Put me at ease etc

Reply to Just joined Elecsa (no thanks to dodgy builder) in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net