Discuss Just priced my first rewire, why is it so cheap? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If you do as many tests as you can as go it saves time later. And just in case you didnt know already do all your testing before dressing the CU to keep it all pretty

I bet you try and get your lads to do the job in 2-3 days lol
For a standard and empty/partially empty two up two down I'd be allowing around seven or eight days for two of my lads to do the work and either myself or another to test during and after, this would include making good. For an occupied I'd be adding 100% on to my labour costs (9/10 times I purposly price myself out of an occupied rewire).

All materials are marked up by 20% also.

Cheers Ryan, much appreciated. I've already made the dressing in prior to testing mistake at my previous job :)

Ta Mr Skelton! That was informative, i certainly won't be banging an extra 100% on haha but i can appreciate why you would. I think i will allow for 7 days labour though. I still can't see how it will take me that long but as previously mentioned, i have caused myself problems all too much by under estimating on labour.

I always mark up by 20% also. I got two quotes from wholesalers, Call Eddies First and another local, much to my amazement CEF came in £160 cheaper than my preferred WS?! I know the manager there wants my custom as he's always on the blower but the price shocked me a little! He did try to palm off one of there own MCG boards which i have never used and never intend on doing to be honest but even so there price was VERY competitive!

In my head i'm flash gordon but in reality i'm a bumbling fool!

I wouldn't know mate ive never given them the chance. Went sorting out another sparks (NIC registered) terrible mess and he had fitted a BG board, and it was the most terrible piece of crap ever, you could of wrapped your buttys in the plastic it was that thin.

Whenever i do quotes i always give the customer abit of a lecture about crap gear and that my labour costs will probably be cheaper than the next mans but i refuse to install crap because its complete and utter false economy so my price may come abit higher but to bear in mind that it's worth it. This strategy has paid off so far!

I think you also need to factor in the time you have spent quoting already, as you said you've spent yesterday and this morning sorting it out so looks like your going toward the 3 grander sort of figure for this one, I think you've over estimated some of the material (although this is a good thing) ie 100 mtrs 3 core is way too much for a start and 250m of 2.5 also too much probably <150m more like it

Reply to Just priced my first rewire, why is it so cheap? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net