Discuss Knipex 5 in 1 Hybrid pliers in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dustydazzler

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Just brought a set off a mate , he is dropping round next week

are they actually a useful tool or a bit of a gimmick ?

I bought a pair about 8 months ago and I hardly ever use them. They're a bit big and clumsy for me, jack of all trades master of none. I'm not keen on the way they're sprung open or the fiddly little catch on the side that keeps them closed, in my hands they're either wide open or stuck closed because the catch has accidentally rotated. Don't get me wrong, they're well made and I sometimes reach for them if I'm running on to a site for a quote or survey and I don't fancy carrying a toolcase, between them, a compact clamp meter and your two fave screwdrivers you've covered most bases for a flying visit. Overall and with hindsight I wouldn't buy another pair, I'd rather buy a nice Nipex high-leverage pair of sidecutters and a pair of longnose pliers which would come in for around the same price.

I found them useful, but with some limitations...

Very good as an all in one to avoid having to carry around multiple tools, and well made. Never used the crimping bit, but the cutter and stripper were both very easy to use and effective.

The only draw back was that because of their size and location of the stripping holes they are not good in confined spaces, like within tight back boxes and short cores... (A Jokari allrounder is the best I've found for that).

Then I went and left them somewhere on a site it seems and no customer has fessed up ?.

Managed to get replacement ones that are similar, but not sprung, at CEF for 30+vat, which wasn't a bad deal I thought. (EngEX brand), but I kinda miss the spring bit when cutting lots - though I did find similar issues to Marvo with the catch.

At ÂŁ25 I'd say that was a good deal and they'll be handy.

They arent something I would have normally purchased and certainly not at the ÂŁ40-50 retail price. No cutters imo are worth 50 quid.

however a mate offered them to me so at £25 I’m happy to give them a whirl.

worst case scenario they will end up on here in the FOR SALE section ?

I bought a pair about 8 months ago and I hardly ever use them. They're a bit big and clumsy for me, jack of all trades master of none. I'm not keen on the way they're sprung open or the fiddly little catch on the side that keeps them closed, in my hands they're either wide open or stuck closed because the catch has accidentally rotated. Don't get me wrong, they're well made and I sometimes reach for them if I'm running on to a site for a quote or survey and I don't fancy carrying a toolcase, between them, a compact clamp meter and your two fave screwdrivers you've covered most bases for a flying visit. Overall and with hindsight I wouldn't buy another pair, I'd rather buy a nice Nipex high-leverage pair of sidecutters and a pair of longnose pliers which would come in for around the same price.

Mate dropped them round today and my first impressions are they are basically a posh pair of long nose pliers. Not a chance worth ÂŁ40-50 retail imo.

I totally agree with you if I were going to spend ÂŁ50 , I would buy a pair of regular side cutters & a pair of pliers

I question how much I will use these hybrid pliers but for the ÂŁ25 I will probably get some moneys worth out of them...

Also Knipex basically market this as a tool to replace all other tools , it doesn’t ,

the cutter is at the rear of the tool so you can’t get it anywhere near the back of the box to trim off excess sheeving

as i said, a useful paperweight...... buy a Klein electrician's knife, i got one from CEF. ÂŁ30 + TW*T

as i said, a useful paperweight...... buy a Klein electrician's knife, i got one from CEF. ÂŁ30 + TW*T
Will that not fall fowl of the EDC knife laws etc ? I know a paper delivery guy in london (Standard) that got done for carrying a small knife with a locking blade .He used it to cut the nylon straps holding the papers together etc

Also Knipex basically market this as a tool to replace all other tools , it doesn’t ,

the cutter is at the rear of the tool so you can’t get it anywhere near the back of the box to trim off excess sheeving
Marketed as a companion to side cutters. Prior to getting a set I used a Draper Expert Ergo 7-in-1 side cutters (flush cutter, side cutter, strip 1.5mm & 2.5, bolt cutter M3.5 & M4 and a conductor bender) and a pair of Draper Expert Ergo long nose pliers - The Knipex replaces the long nose pliers. Biggest gripe for me is the lack of handle offset (if you've tried the Expert Ergo range you know how different it feels.

It's replaced 1 tool and added 1 tool (cable shear) and means I can strip and prep conductors with either tool

Reply to Knipex 5 in 1 Hybrid pliers in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net