Discuss Latest from the Select Committee in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D Skelton

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just an update, I received this email from them just now:

The Committee will hold a follow-up oral evidence session with the Minister, Stephen Williams MP, on the Government’s response to the Committee’s recent report, Building regulations certification of electrical installation and repairs in dwellings.
Commenting on the Government’s response, Committee Chair, Clive Betts said:

"The Committee’s report drew heavily on the evidence we took from electricians. Many of them had serious concerns about the arrangements for checking the quality of electrical work carried out in homes. This is a safety issue. The Government has rejected not just our report but those concerns. It is only right that we call the Minister back to explain the Government’s attitude."

9 JULY
5.15pm:
Stephen Williams MP, Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State, Department for Communities and Local Government

I've emailed Mr Betts thanking him for his continued support.

To make a long story short, I told him that I was shocked to see the government response and that I assumed the schemes have great access to lobbyists.

I rounded it off by ensuring him that I would be more than happy to five further evidence if requested and that his dedication to raising standards was appreciated not just by me but by the hundreds of electricians I speak to on a weekly basis.

Credit where credit's due, the guy needs a round of applause I think!

I've emailed Mr Betts thanking him for his continued support.

To make a long story short, I told him that I was shocked to see the government response and that I assumed the schemes have great access to lobbyists.

I rounded it off by ensuring him that I would be more than happy to five further evidence if requested and that his dedication to raising standards was appreciated not just by me but by the hundreds of electricians I speak to on a weekly basis.

Credit where credit's due, the guy needs a round of applause I think!

wtf???

I think that we need to get him to investigate this "mandatory guarantee" that the schemes state has been dictated by the Government.

I've never agreed with the "optional" Elecsa waranty and NEVER pushed it.

Now its included in the increased notification.

Has anyone ever heard of a customer claiming on these schemes or is it like PL insurance?

wtf???

I think that we need to get him to investigate this "mandatory guarantee" that the schemes state has been dictated by the Government.

I've never agreed with the "optional" Elecsa waranty and NEVER pushed it.

Now its included in the increased notification.

Has anyone ever heard of a customer claiming on these schemes or is it like PL insurance?

I totally agree with what you're saying, but you can't eat an elephant in one go.

Clive Betts and the rest of the select committee could have just left it be when the government's response was published, but he didn't. They are continuing to pursue the case and I for one am extremely happy about this! I didn't expect it in a million years.

Probably find that the scams have got at the minister and dissed the select committees report and findings and managed to get their own way and by adding the warranty gave them the sweetener they needed for the minister to push it through

Reply to Latest from the Select Committee in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net