Discuss LED Ceiling panel light switching on in standby mode (on the 4th switch on) in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

digsie

DIY
Reaction score
We're in the UK, 240v lighting feed.
We have replaced all the lights in our house with LED ceiling panels.
WP_20190604_003.jpgWP_20190604_009.jpg

These are pretty much the standard ligthing throughout our house with the exception of our Kitchen which has a dual controller 50-80w x2.

The issue that we're having is that two of the panels, the kitchen and one of the above, seem to go into standby mode on the 4th switch on.
They all have three light settings, Bright/Warm/Dim, these can be changed with an RF remote or by switching the light switch on and off.
They've worked fine for a few years now without any hassles, but recently the kitchen light & one of the above have developed a 4th setting (standby), so you switch them on and off to cycle through the settings and instead of switching back to Bright from Dim the led's give a slight flicker and then it goes into standby mode, you can use the remote at this point to switch them on etc, but requires an additional click of the switch to cycle back to Bright from Dim.
I've tried new controllers, tried switching over existing controllers from other lights that are not affected by this issue and new switches tna.
I thought it might have been something to do with the power input but it makes little sense 'cos the lights affected are the 1st & last on the feed, with 2 more between them working fine.

The two affected lights have different manufacturers controllers & number of led strips, one being a Single output 30-60w (5 led strips) and the other being a dual output 50-80w x2 (5 led strips per output).
I have just purchased a new dual controller to see if that makes any difference but it'll take awhile to arrive.

Has anyone else come across this issue or have any ideas what may be causing it.

Last edited:
Yes my landlord is aware they have been fitted, he had his own electrical engineer check the installations.
The first batch I received as shown in the pics weren't CE certified (whilst we were members of the EU), so I had to send them back and have them exchanged for ones that were, that was the only issue the electrician had with them.

Nope never had an EICR, didn't know what one was until you mentioned it.

Are you saying an 'electrical engineer' has checked those fittings after you had fitted them.

Are you saying an 'electrical engineer' has checked those fittings after you had fitted them.
Yup, I originally only fitted one, and asked him to come take a look before I fitted the rest (the one you see in the pic), he noted that they're not CE certified and would invalidate the landlords insurance so I sent them back and got them replaced for ones that were CE certified.
Then I fitted them all and had him check them (my landlord has gone through 4 different electricians in the 8 years I've lived here, he also owns the caravan site & pub next door, so they do the sites electric checks too).
The upstairs lighting loop is earthed, but the downstairs isn't.
I've also pointed out all the bare copper showing from rats gnawing at the cables in the loft space, they just handed me some tape.

As for dangerous the entire of our house was running through a 60a cable back at the main board which is located in the building next door until it melted (our feed comes from the caravan site).

You need to remove those fittings. A fault will most likely result in someone getting hurt.

It's a legal requirement for your property to have a valid EICR, and you are entitled to a copy of it.
The EICR will be 'unsatisfactory' with those unearthed light fittings, and probably on several other points as well.
There are plenty of LED fittings available which do not require an earth.

Yup, I originally only fitted one, and asked him to come take a look before I fitted the rest (the one you see in the pic), he noted that they're not CE certified and would invalidate the landlords insurance so I sent them back and got them replaced for ones that were CE certified.
Then I fitted them all and had him check them (my landlord has gone through 4 different electricians in the 8 years I've lived here, he also owns the caravan site & pub next door, so they do the sites electric checks too).
The upstairs lighting loop is earthed, but the downstairs isn't.
I've also pointed out all the bare copper showing from rats gnawing at the cables in the loft space, they just handed me some tape.

As for dangerous the entire of our house was running through a 60a cable back at the main board which is located in the building next door until it melted (our feed comes from the caravan site).
Two things here he isn't an electrician and second he as about as far being an engineer as Putin is to being the next Nobel peace prize winner.

The wiring looks odd/wrong too, 3 blacks connected to L and 1 black connected to N would not be a normal UK configuration?

I assume these lights have some sort of cover/diffuser?!

You need to remove those fittings. A fault will most likely result in someone getting hurt.

The wiring looks odd/wrong too, 3 blacks connected to L and 1 black connected to N would not be a normal UK configuration?

I assume these lights have some sort of cover/diffuser?!
Yeah the outer housing cover is acrylic with fake chrome work around the corners, there isn't anyone but me that touches them anyway so I'm not too concerned about electrocuting myself, I learned from a young age what happens when you plug yourself into the mains with a couple of paper clips, and how far you fly when you try to pull away after feeling the trickle turn into a torrent, the heat in the fingers & heart palpitations, a little zap doesn't really concern me.

As for the black cable, it's just a 3" extension, the red feed was too tight for my liking, didn't want to risk it cutting through the grommet over time, black was the only colour I could put my hands on at the time, hence the blue tape as a marker.

So it's a live wire, and you've identified it as a neutral?
I take it the joint on the other end of this black wire is in a suitable enclosure?
In effect yes, but the only person I was identifying it to was myself, and again I didn't have any red tape either, only blue.
Yeah I checked the breaker to find it's a 6a, so I used a 5a chocolate block, which I also covered in the same blue tape before shoving back into the ceiling cavity.

I know folks here are likely to be pro electricians frowning at my methods & misuse of colours, but really I just wanted to know if anyone had come across the issue in the original post before.
Most of you would probably faint if you saw what the rest of this houses electrical cabling looked like, I mean just the feeds from the fuse boards are comical.
Brb gonna go take a pic so you can see what I mean.

WP_20220312_21_00_05_Pro.jpg

This was the handy work of trician #2, and at that he had to do the job twice 'cos he put the board slap bang in the back doors path, so you couldn't close it.
I got back home to a good giggle and called him back out to shift it all again.
I only have to put up with this system for another 3 years max, then we'll be moving on anyway, so I'm not too fussed about causing any headaches over legalities of it all.
I'm just baffled as to what is causing these two separate light fittings with different ballasts to have the same issue, it makes no sense to me.

In effect yes, but the only person I was identifying it to was myself, and again I didn't have any red tape either, only blue.
Yeah I checked the breaker to find it's a 6a, so I used a 5a chocolate block, which I also covered in the same blue tape before shoving back into the ceiling cavity.

I know folks here are likely to be pro electricians frowning at my methods & misuse of colours, but really I just wanted to know if anyone had come across the issue in the original post before.
Most of you would probably faint if you saw what the rest of this houses electrical cabling looked like, I mean just the feeds from the fuse boards are comical.
Brb gonna go take a pic so you can see what I mean.

When someone else touches your handywork and gets electrocuted, you will be the one to blame. Your attitude is scary.

These light fittings will be coming with me, and the originals going back up before I leave this place.
Nobody else is likely to be touching them at all, so please have no fear of my scary attitude, I'm wholly realistic of the situation, not playing on ifs...buts...& fantasies, nevermind any "when's".

Reply to LED Ceiling panel light switching on in standby mode (on the 4th switch on) in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net