Discuss Led Lights Lit Dim While Switched Off in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

Karl Andrew

Hello everybody

i came across a nice fault/problem today, I changed some GU10 lamps for the LED kind and they are lit dim while switched off. I have installed 2 new circuits These are the circuits the LEDs are on (1 in a extension and 1 up stairs in the older part of the house) I know these circuits are sound. There is 1 other lighting circuit in the house which I haven't touched yet. And when I disconnect the neutral on the older circuit the LEDs go out.

There is one set of LED lights in the bathroom on the extension circuit that stops on and the other set of LEDs are on the up stairs lighting circuit ( so both different circuits)

in all the other rooms I have used the same LEDs and had no problem

also the affected lights are the last group on the lighting circuit. The house is RCD protected too

any help would be spot on

Had this problem before...

carry out a voltage test at the fitting and I bet there is an induced voltage there. Don't use your continuity testers, use an actual mega tester.

Are they switched 2way?

because they're a weird DC lamp any voltage present will interfere with them.

Michael

One of the groups of lights is 1 way and the other is a 2 way

how would I get round this problem would it be worth rewiring the older circuit

Nope. You will always have induced voltage on a 3 core and earth. It's very minute but enough to interfere with the LEDS.

Unless someone on here knows a way of minimising induced voltage...

its the permanent live in the 3 core laying next to the switch lives... Un avoidable my friend.

the leds I had problems with eventually went after 3secs. Very bizarre

michael

Fit a snubber and that will resolve the problem.

Across L-N at last fitting on circuit.

Ring CEF they now carry an LED lamp that will remove the issue for you so just a straight swap :)

You only need to change 1 of them btw

Reply to Led Lights Lit Dim While Switched Off in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net