Discuss Light switch does not turn off ceiling light. Please help. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Matty_mw

DIY
Reaction score
Replacing ceiling fan with light that never worked in home wirh sime led ceiling light without fan. Wires coming out of ceing are youre black, white, ground,, and red because of fan. The light has connections for just white, black, and ground. I tried capping red and connecting the rest like normal, but the light just stays constantly on. Tried tying red and black from ceing to light as suggested in other forum which didn't work either. Tried replacing switch as well. So issue has to be inside the wiring of the switch I believe. Attached is photo of how switch was wired. Worth noting that lights in 2 other rooms as well as outlet in same room are on same circuit. How can I wire switch so that it controls the intended ceiling light without turning off other lights on that circuit? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20200825_084833.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 19
Mattie it appears to me by looking at the picture that the red wire from the switch is you switch leg and it should be connected to the black wire in your light and add no other wires in that connection.

Reply to Light switch does not turn off ceiling light. Please help. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

L
WIRING FOR WALL SMART SWITCH FOR CEILING FAN/LIGHT Just bought a smart wall switch for a ceiling fan/light currently connected to a single switch...
Replies
Views
littletwinn
L
I hope someone can help with this as I'm stumped. My landing hallway ceiling (2016-build house) has two rose pendants which I've attempted to...
Replies
Views
I am adding a light fixture in a room I am restoring in my 160 yo house. I have ran a new 12-2 w/ground wire from the ceiling box to a junction...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am installing a new bathroom fan. We had an electrician who ran 14/3 into a junction box. The black feeds a led light and the red was...
Replies
Views
I am installing a ceiling fan in a newly built home. The builders have left the wiring for this purpose. In the electrical box on the ceiling I...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock