Discuss Lighting circuit no cpc in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

steve447

was asked by a friend to put up some light fittings for his mum, changing from pendant to some fancy metal fittings, discover that there is no cpc on the circuit.
Running a cpc or redoing the whole circuit again from the CU is going to be difficult, newly decorated pace all laminate flooring in every bedroom.
The only light that is accesable from upstairs is the light in the hallway so i could get a cpc to there but thats it.
any one overcome this issue before?
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
It's either a rewire twin and earth or a single earth. By putting the metal fitting up it's your duty to provide an earth. Silly i knw but that's the regs. Only other option is surface mounted

yeah thought that would be the case, Oh well i guess if i drag up the boards on the landing i might get lucky and find a easy (ish) route without ripping all the laminate up. Dont hold much hope of that though. the joists are bound to go the opposite way to what you want them to.
Thats if she is going to want it done, hope she has the receipt for the new lights she bought if she dont.

you might be lucky in some places and be able to fish from below at the fittings. don't forget the switch drops if metal switch plates are to be fitted. good luck with it.

Is there a socket cct nearby? You could take an earth off of that. The other light you mention, is there a cpc there? Are you sure the light fitting is class 1, Ive had B+Q specials that are actually class 2 despite being all metal.

Last edited:
Is there a socket cct nearby? You could take an earth off of that. The other light you mention, is there a cpc there? Are you sure the light fitting is class 1, Ive had B+Q specials that are actually class 2 despite being all metal.

Good point about class 1 and 2 , ill have a check when i get round there on friday.
Nice one.

Reply to Lighting circuit no cpc in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net