Discuss Lights flickering on one circuit in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D Spanner

DIY
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I live in an older home that still has a few circuits with aluminum wiring. One of these is a lights-only circuit that contains 6 switches. All connections appear to be fine. Proper connectors and antioxidant were used for joining aluminum wires and pig-tailing copper to some of the newer switches. Many years, no issues. Recently though, all of the lights on this circuit have begun to flicker. My question is, if the wiring is (hypothetically) bad mid-circuit, can it impact all lights on the circuit, or only the ones after the problem spot? I assume it can impact all lights, but any further input would be appreciated!

From the experience its either the switch itself (or connections on it), or you are missing neutral on those LED's.
I would check switch first since you dont need to climb anywhere and generally its easier to open up

My question is, if the wiring is (hypothetically) bad mid-circuit, can it impact all lights on the circuit, or only the ones after the problem spot? I assume it can impact all lights, but any further input would be appreciated!

Only the lights downstream of the fault would normally be affected.

Flickering on just one circuit suggests a loose connection somewhere, if all lights on that circuit are flickering it suggests the fault is either at the first light, the panel or between the panel and the first light.

Only the lights downstream of the fault would normally be affected.

Flickering on just one circuit suggests a loose connection somewhere, if all lights on that circuit are flickering it suggests the fault is either at the first light, the panel or between the panel and the first light.
Thanks Dave, this is extremely helpful in narrowing down the likelihood of where the problem is. Greatly appreciate your response!

Reply to Lights flickering on one circuit in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net