Discuss lights while on holiday... in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jimbo84

I want to make the lights come on on their own while im on holiday, ive bought an electronic timer what plugs into a socket, and ive also got a relay which i want to use to make my kitchen lights come on as these are visible to the outdoors. Which wires would i send to the coil on the relay and which wires would i send to the n/o contact? Thanks

if you have the modern loop-in to switch arrangement

you may be able to replace the light switch with a mechanical timer

outside of that i'd prob go with the standard timer and tablelamp

Hi, welcome to the forum. I would not attempt to do this in the way you suggest. Obtain a purpose made device to randomly switch a pendant lamp or table lamp. Google search Masterplug Dusk Til Dawn Lampholder (note the odd spelling) or Smiths Security Lamp Holder.

You would have to use it like a switch and take your switch line from the light switch down to that socket and then back up to the kitchen lights, so quite a complicated task really.

You would be better off buying a timer mounting it at the CU, then diverting the downstairs lighting into it, and go around switching some switches off and some on like the kitchen one on, hall light on, front room off etc. and set up a 7 day cycle with different timings, but again it's a lot of work.

Just do as Dave suggested really.

Reply to lights while on holiday... in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all hope u all have a fab christmas , my name is Nick and i bought a roller garage door it got delivered yesterday but due to holidays the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I replaced an outdoor electrical socket recently with a 2 gang, BG socket which has LED lights to show when it is switched on. Since then I...
Replies
Views
So a family member wants to put an outdoor light or two on the end of a driveway, purely passive and solar powered. These used to be naff and not...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys I've fitted a few emergency lighting circuits to both domestic and commercial installs before, I've come across one I can't get my head...
Replies
Views
Im just curious as to peoples thoughts on the following install I seen on a video from an Electrical firm today and they did the following: Ran...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock