Discuss Like for like and an addition. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Amp David

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
Swapping over a pendant light fitting to a IP rated bulkhead type in a bathroom, so to me wouldn't need RCDing.

However, I have also been asked to put a wall mounted ELV fan in, As this will take its feed from the lighting and would be an addition the the circuit, this would mean having to bring the lighting upto standards?

Cheers people

Personal opinion would be to RCD the lighting circuit. The argument I have had that if you are extending the existing lighting circuit then you only have to MIEWC the job. I always maintained that in the MIEWC notes it gives the example of a lighting point, which to me is an extra light, not a new fan therefore the work requires an EIC and therefore RCD.

It's a perspective on points of view, me to leave somewhere safer than when I arrived is a better perspective.

Your right about different points of view, heard about 10 different ones on hte matter this morning.

Its a bathroom refit, old lady, no money etc etc. Have got the job from a friend who is doing the bathroom. New shower going in and a Dimplex wall heater, both supplied from a 2 way CU with RCD main switch. The existiing light is being replaced with a IP54 version and then the extract fan.

As the wall heater is a 2 KW version, would it be wrong to take the fan of this circuit and fuse down to 3 amps?

I issue MWC for the simplest of jobs, even if it is a "like for like" as it covers me in the event of someone else playing with the install. Takes seconds to complete. As for the OP question, RCD the circuit as there will be quite a bit extra once you add the fan and isolator switch. MWC will prove that you have carefully looked at the circuit and ensured the addition has not overloaded what is there now and provide something to refer back to should the need arise.

Swapping over a pendant light fitting to a IP rated bulkhead type in a bathroom, so to me wouldn't need RCDing.

However, I have also been asked to put a wall mounted ELV fan in, As this will take its feed from the lighting and would be an addition the the circuit, this would mean having to bring the lighting upto standards?

Cheers people
probably after the event now and certainly not disagreeing with the above and personally would always want to put an rcd in anyway.

However, i agree replacing the pendant with a bulkhead is like for like so could get away with no rcd.

If the feed for the selv is outside the bathroom and does not need rcd protection because of the nature of its route (which it may well do) surely if it is only the selv fan coming into the bathroom as it has both basic and fault protection and no earth anyway, it would not need rcd protection.

Or is it just way past my bedtime and i'm not thinking straight :confused: Just being the devil's advocate really.

Feed to the tranny for the fan require RCD as the way its installed.

Done job today and everything is of a new 2 way rcd CU.

Job job really as if I had to test the existing lighting i think i'd of still been there scratching my head. Existing install is a bag of spanners and really needs a rewire, but its a council property so its not probably due one yet

Any chance of rcbo at the db? or else put a 3amp rcd spur on it?

I REALLY SHOULD HAVE READ THE LAST POST!!!!!! WALLY!!!!

Reply to Like for like and an addition. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net