Discuss Links to products appearing in my recent post - why has this happened ? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
"Hello All",

I noticed tonight that a couple of Links to products appeared in a message that I posted - How / Why would this be happening ?

For example I wrote `28mm Diamond Core bit` and `bathroom Vent Axia` in a message earlier to Member gnselectrical about Diamond Core bits - this produced a Link to display an onscreen Box with 3 examples of these Diamond Core bits - I assume clicking onto any of them would take you to the website where they are advertised.

I assume that similar Links will now appear in that paragraph ?

Thinking about the content of my message I am surprised that there were not more Links created within the text - here is a Link to that thread - my message is number 10:

http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/electrical-tools-products/104056-dressing-diamond-bits.html

I did not see the extract fan link until it was too late to edit the message - it was not showing when I originally edited my message with a P.S. about the Core bit.

I edited my message earlier by putting a P.S. comment regarding this but when I reposted the message the Link was not showing so I re-edited it again removing my P.S. comment - but I noticed that the Link was back again so I wrote another message below explaining that I had not created the Links instead of Editing again.

I cannot imagine that this is beneficial to the Forum in general terms - Unless I have missed something recently regarding the Sponsorship of the Forum and that these Links are to products sold by the Sponsors - ?

If this is the case I can imagine that there will be a lot of these Links within Members messages in future.

Has anyone got any thoughts on this - I know that it is not the most interesting of Topics but I would like to know what has caused this to occur - I don`t recall having these Links appear within my messages before [?].

Regards,

Chris

EDIT: I notice that Links have NOT appeared above on this message where I wrote about the Diamond Core bit or the bathroom Vent Axia - perhaps it was the use of the punctuation marks [above] that prevented that ?

RE-EDIT: The Links have now appeared - disappeared and reappeared randomly on this message.

Last edited:
Its just a plugin a lot of forums use. It picks out a certain key word or phrase and gives you a google search or product search of it.

Personally not a fan but a lot of forums use similar things.

Its just a plugin a lot of forums use. It picks out a certain key word or phrase and gives you a google search or product search of it.

Personally not a fan but a lot of forums use similar things.

"Hello Harni",

Thanks for your reply.

I guessed that it was something like that but I wonder why I have not experienced this on here before - I have been a Member of the Forum for quite a while now [almost 4 Years] and I don`t recall ever having these Links appearing within any of my 545 messages.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
Chris they are called Skimlinks. I've got these pop up links as well, dont worry about it. You have done nothing wrong, it's a "forum system thing". Marvo can explain a lot better lol.

Chris they are called Skimlinks. I've got these pop up links as well, dont worry about it. You have done nothing wrong, it's a "forum system thing". Marvo can explain a lot better lol.

"Hello Paul",

Thanks for the name of these Links - `Skimlinks` - my main point is that I cannot remember ever seeing these on any of my other posts over the Years [?].

Regards,

Chris

Hi Chris,

No I can't say I do?

Had a quick google search and couldn't find anything either!

"Hello again Hellmooth",

Thanks for your reply.

I asked about John Black the Building Contractor just on the slight chance that You might have known of Him in your area as I think that He was very well known around there and in Edinburgh in the 1990`s / early 2000`s and possibly beyond then.

I worked on a project in London in the mid 1990`s with Him and his team of Tradesmen and Labourers from the Livingston / Edinburgh areas - the Project was for a Company from Edinburgh who created Student and Nurses accommodation all over the UK - John`s Men were living in accommodation on site - He was staying in a Hotel.

He and all of the Tradesmen and Labourers [about 20 of them] were all great blokes and We used to go to the local Pub with them most evenings - so much so that most of my Team used to go to work by Minicab so that We could have a drink after work - We all lived only about 5 miles from the Site.

At that time John did not have a Plumbing & Heating Contractor who would have wanted to `Supply & Fix` a job like that and come down and stay in London for Months and I was a Friend of one of the Developers so they specified my Company to carry out the Plumbing and Heating works.

The Job was running on a 7 Day a week basis and although there was plenty of drinking going on in the evenings there was no drinking during working hours - plenty of work / production was produced even with the ever present `Hangovers`.

The Project was 21 Flats being turned into 100 Student Bedsitting Rooms with new Showers / Bathrooms and Kitchens.

The Site was very close to a Local Pub which had suffered a downturn in custom because the new owner had expected more trade when He purchased the lease and was hoping to earn enough money to gradually refurbish the Pub and therefore attract more Customers.

The Landlord was almost broke and about to close up and give up the Licence / break His Contract with the Brewery / His Suppliers when We arrived on the Site - the Pub began taking a couple of thousand pounds a week from Us which obviously made the world of difference and also despite there being 20 - 30 + Builders in the Pub every night the improved atmosphere attracted more Locals - the Pub became completely `reinvigorated`.

The Landlord went from almost being `destitute` / losing His Pub to earning a good living - to such an extent that He did refurbish the Pub using some of the Carpenters / Electricians / Plumbers & Painters from the Site at the end of our Project and up to about 2 Years ago [ I have not been there since then] He still had what became a very good Pub.

John Black bought a nice big House in East Trinity in Edinburgh and my Business partner and I went up there to completely renew the Plumbing, Heating system and Gas - He preferred Us to do the works on his new House than the Plumbing Contractors that he used on his usual Building Contracts - even though as We were living away from Home our `Mates Rates` Price and accommodation costs would have been much more expensive than a local Plumbing & Heating Company.

I am sure that this would have meant that We could have had some `grief` in the Pubs in Edinburgh but We had 20 + new Friends from the Edinburgh / Livingston area and they put the word around that `We were O.K.` and `not to be interfered with`.

Sorry for the `Story` - I just wanted to explain that I knew John Black well at that time - and although He would probably be in his mid 60`s I thought that He might still be trading in the Livingston area - however He did tell Me that his ambition was to `retire to a Beach in the Caribbean by his mid 50`s` and as He carried out some quite large projects up to and after that time He may well have achieved that ambition.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to write about it love hearing a good story!

That was just before my time I've only turned 30, been looking him up to see if I could find any info but can't see anything sadly!

Trinity is a nice place, must have done alright for himself to have a house there!

I hope he managed to make it to the Caribbean, wish it was me!

And you must have done something right if he preferred you to carry out the works :D

Nice talking to you, take care!

Thanks for taking the time to write about it love hearing a good story!

That was just before my time I've only turned 30, been looking him up to see if I could find any info but can't see anything sadly!

Trinity is a nice place, must have done alright for himself to have a house there!

I hope he managed to make it to the Caribbean, wish it was me!

And you must have done something right if he preferred you to carry out the works :D

Nice talking to you, take care!

"Hello again Hellmooth",

Thanks for your reply - when I saw my message posted I thought that you might think that I had gone mad going into so much detail about someone that You don`t know - thanks for taking the `Story` so well.

The East Trinity House turned out really nice - `top of the range` everything as You might expect for a successful Builder`s own Home.

We even had to build the Boiler ourselves in the Basement from individual component parts from the manufacturer because it could not be taken down there assembled - even the individual sections of the Heat Exchanger were supplied separately for Us to assemble.

John and my other Friend the Developer wanted to introduce Us to some `affluent people` in Edinburgh who wanted Plumbing & Heating works etc. done - all `good money jobs` but although I liked Edinburgh my Wife who had come up a few times for weekends while I was working there wanted me back in London / at Home so I had to decline the work - some quite big jobs from the descriptions of the Houses.

Thanks again for not giving me any stick about my `Jackanory` type message.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
Not at all, that's what the forum is about, the friendlier the better!

It is a fair bit away from London, never going to go down well with the missus :D

Is business still as good back home?

Not at all, that's what the forum is about, the friendlier the better!

It is a fair bit away from London, never going to go down well with the missus :D

Is business still as good back home?

"Hello again Hellmooth",

Unfortunately because of a catastrophic Back injury leading to severe Back problem and problems with both knees PLUS my Age - my days of installing Heating systems and whole House re-plumbs are over.

Even just taking up many Floorboards - notching joists - installing underfloor supports etc. before installing the pipework is beyond my physical capabilities now.

My Back problem and knee problems have been associated with my Trades / a lifetime of `working too hard`/ too much bending / getting up and down from kneeling etc. installing Heating, Plumbing & Gas pipework etc.

I also had damage to my Spine [unknown to me until MRI scans] that was attributed to injuries that I suffered as a Child and from a couple of `Hard Landings` on Parachute jumps - the Orthopaedic Surgeons could apparently identify the injured / disrupted / `healed` areas of my Spine to Injury episodes / Dates in my Medical records.

In the past I worked on some large / long term Contracts installing Heating systems in occupied Flats on very large Housing Estates - some at the rate of one Flat per Day - run from District Heating Riser pipework in vertical ducts - within the property surface pipework to Radiators run in plastic trunking above the skirting board - that type of work / most Heating and Plumbing work like I am sure many types of Electrical works is extremely `punishing` on the Back and knees because of all of the bending down / kneeling / getting up and down to and from the kneeling position.

And the fact of having to complete a Flat per Day in occupied accommodation [moving plenty of furniture etc.] with `High Standard workmanship`every working day for Years made it VERY hard work for the entire body - this was only possible because I was 30 Years + younger than now - but it has definitely contributed to the `severe wear and tear` on my Back and knees.

As I have been Self Employed for most of the last 38 Years all of my Contracts have been carried out while working hard - all day every day - but ensuring the highest quality workmanship to maintain my `Good Reputation`.

So like many Tradesmen - especially [but not only] those who have been Self Employed for decades I have actually damaged myself irreparably by my work.

Thanks again for your messages - as You mentioned it is `Nice to Chat` - although I really should have sent You a Private message to ask if You knew my Friend.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:

Reply to Links to products appearing in my recent post - why has this happened ? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net