Discuss List three different types of equipment that may present a hazard to the person carry in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lofty84

fault diagnosis

· Capacitors for Power Factor correction
· Motors which may start up when being maintained/repaired

Can anyone think of a third please ......

Re: List three different types of equipment that may present a hazard to the person c

ladders?

Re: List three different types of equipment that may present a hazard to the person c

a wobbly ladder with the apprentice on brining the tea!!

Now re-think this,
PF Capacitors, your going to carry them around charged?
Motors still connected. You’re not going to get far!

Things not to carry:
A screwdriver in your pocket, I’ve stabbed myself more than once.
A knife with the blade exposed.
Anything heavy that can’t be safely carried.
Anything you can find an alternative method to move.

This has got to be a collage question, think logically about safety.

... Or back up battery eg in emergency lighting.
IR tester (could give you a surprise).

Some may get you the mark, some won't but all present a hazard of some sort!

Borrowed neutrals
Equipment supplied from alternative sources (emergency lighting, stand by generators, UPS)
Capacitance effect in cables subjected to high test voltages
incorrectly earthed metalwork with high potential during earth loop impedance testing
Switchgear in confined spaces, poorly lit environments, with missing barriers, incorrect polarity
Equipment under test in wet or humid enviromnments (including pools and fountains)
Equipment under test in explosiv environments (petrol stations, grain silos, flour mills, saw mills etc)
Apprentice not footing the ladder
Damaged ball point pens (Writers cramp)
Assorted test leads being carried around the neck (strangulation)
Over spung croc clips (can give you a nasty nip)
Ladders that are only slightly too short.
Clients who you promised that the power would be back on 10 minutes ago.
Servers that won't re-boot after testing the power circuit. Of course it's your fault. It's never been off for 3 years and always worked fine until you got here.

cheers for all the replies its nice to have all your input

It is a college question and the two answers provided would get me the marks. Unfortunantly a screw drive, knife in pocket wont tho so it must be something to do with the C&G criteria.

cheers all

batteries! cables that may have a capacitive effect, eg cables on very long runs

What do/does you/he mean when he says cables that may have a capacitive effect, I know its something to do with very long runs but what is this capacitive effect ?

cheers

What about a Tiger, or a venomous snake, or un-shielded radioactive material.
It's probablly something that is either too heavy, or something so bulky as to impead your visiibillity.

What do/does you/he mean when he says cables that may have a capacitive effect, I know its something to do with very long runs but what is this capacitive effect ?

cheers
A capacitor stores electrical charge. The larger the capacitor the larger the charge, to the point where it can store up enough charge to give you a nasty belt even when the power is off.
Capacitors are made from two 'plates' which are basically two conductors side by side, like two bits of tin foil separated by an isolator (such as waxed paper) rolled up like a swiss roll.

If you think about it a cable is basically the same thing - two (normally live) conductors side by side, which isn't usually a problem, but when the cable run is particularly long it can have the same effect as a capacitor, which could be making the resistance appear to be lower, or storing an electrical charge.

PP3 battery set fire to my trousers once when a PP3 battery was in my pocket and the terminals shorted together on something in my pocket

PP3 battery set fire to my trousers once when a PP3 battery was in my pocket and the terminals shorted together on something in my pocket

HeHe not you as well!
I did it with a NiCad radio battery. Going to the aid post was bad enough, filling in the accident report was worse. My manager couldn’t stop laughing!

Not to mention Rocker's megger tester.

When I was doing my Apprenticeship, I was told not to use a butane gas lighter, only a petrol lighter.
Apparently weld spatter could burn through your pocket, melt the plastic lighter and cause the gas to ignite.

Reply to List three different types of equipment that may present a hazard to the person carry in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net