Discuss Location of bathroom fan isolator switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gringoking88

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been asked to fit an extractor fan to a bungalow, normally I chase out a box for the fan isolator and locate it above the bathroom door, is there a reason I cant locate it in the loft, im guessing due to accessibility or something, but just wanted to check?

Many thanks,

Martin

I would say an isolator switch that is not accessible (or even known about if the owner changes) is kind of pointless!

I think the EAWR has requirements on access for any safety isolation, while that might not apply in a domestic situation it would be difficult to argue it is not good practice to follow that.

Hopefully others on here will know if there are specific regulations apply to this, though if the manufacturer advises that an isolation switch is necessary, it would follow it has to be usable by the occupants in an emergency (however unlikely that might be).

I would say an isolator switch that is not accessible (or even known about if the owner changes) is kind of pointless!

I think the EAWR has requirements on access for any safety isolation, while that might not apply in a domestic situation it would be difficult to argue it is not good practice to follow that.

Hopefully others on here will know if there are specific regulations apply to this, though if the manufacturer advises that an isolation switch is necessary, it would follow it has to be usable by the occupants in an emergency (however unlikely that might be).
Hi,

That was kinda my thought process, but tbh just wanted to double check or understand the reg.

Thanks,

M

Have you thought about mounting it in the ceiling with a dry line box, just above the door?

Saves chasing out for a box

As it is a bungalow, could you not fit an 'in line' fan in the attic, then as the isolator is there principally for maintenance it could go adjacent to the fan in the attic.

As it is a bungalow, could you not fit an 'in line' fan in the attic, then as the isolator is there principally for maintenance it could go adjacent to the fan in the attic.
Good idea.
Most people though would, I think, prefer to be able to easily switch off the fan for other than maintenance purposes.

I tend to fit mine near the fan so it can be used for isolation, also the FCU if it needs to be fused down.

IMG_1361.jpeg

I have used a switch in the past to control the fan switched live so it can be turned off if the fan is not required, i.e. if washing hands or cleaning teeth etc. This is normally done if I have the switch outside the bathroom.

IMG_1360.jpeg

I tend to fit mine near the fan so it can be used for isolation, also the FCU if it needs to be fused down.

View attachment 63443

I have used a switch in the past to control the fan switched live so it can be turned off if the fan is not required, i.e. if washing hands or cleaning teeth etc. This is normally done if I have the switch outside the bathroom.

View attachment 63442
Great ideas thank you.

Reply to Location of bathroom fan isolator switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net