Discuss location of main switch in consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

NickTG

DIY
Reaction score
hi there - i have a consumer unit where the main switch is located in the middle of the consumer unit. I usually see the main switch on either the right or the left and i wondered if it is acceptable from an EICR point of view having it in the middle ? I attach a picture

Also i just wanted to check, one of the 6 amp fuses have two radial wires that feed lights to the extension part of the house (2 x 1.5mm wires on one MCB ) Am I right in thinking 2 wires not on a ring circuit is fine providing the cable is appropriate for the amps and their use ?

thanks
Nick
IMG20220810090043[12318].jpg

Last edited:
Are you carrying out the EICR or are you the customer?

Consumer units do exist which are supplied with a centre main switch, although yours wouldn't have been supplied in that configuration.

I would guess it has been fitted to replace an old wyles 12way standard CU which had a central main switch a bank of 6 fuses either side.

Personally I don't think I'd comment on this specifically on an EICR as long as everything inside the CU is correct. But I would comment on the lack of correct labelling which would also lead me to look a little harder at the installation as if the installer hasn't labelled it correctly I'd be wondering what else they haven't done.

Are there circuit ID labels on the lid by any chance?

Are you carrying out the EICR or are you the customer?

Consumer units do exist which are supplied with a centre main switch, although yours wouldn't have been supplied in that configuration.

I would guess it has been fitted to replace an old wyles 12way standard CU which had a central main switch a bank of 6 fuses either side.

Personally I don't think I'd comment on this specifically on an EICR as long as everything inside the CU is correct. But I would comment on the lack of correct labelling which would also lead me to look a little harder at the installation as if the installer hasn't labelled it correctly I'd be wondering what else they haven't done.
thanks Dave - comments appreciated - i was about to switch each of the MCB's down and label each one - coupled with the 2 different wire convention sticker and the RCD test one - but before i put the labels on i just wanted to check the location of the switch was ok which I inherited - I am the customer but want to label it up so we know which MCB does what

Are there circuit ID labels on the lid by any chance?
it was a separate strip sellotaped to the lid - but im about to put stickers under each MCB so its neater from the outside - i just didnt want to permanantly attach them if the main switch had to move 😅

thanks Dave - comments appreciated - i was about to switch each of the MCB's down and label each one - coupled with the 2 different wire convention sticker and the RCD test one - but before i put the labels on i just wanted to check the location of the switch was ok which I inherited - I am the customer but want to label it up so we know which MCB does what

Worth bearing in mind that the RCD and wiring colour stickers are no longer needed, assuming the new certs are used.

Worth bearing in mind that the RCD and wiring colour stickers are no longer needed, assuming the new certs are used.
thanks DPG, so i just label the MCBs and that is all that is needed in the way of labels ? - by the way does it seem ok having two radials on the one MCB (in this case its 2 x 1.5mm that go to different lights in an extension and are on a 6 amp MCB ?

thanks DPG, so i just label the MCBs and that is all that is needed in the way of labels ? - by the way does it seem ok having two radials on the one MCB (in this case its 2 x 1.5mm that go to different lights in an extension and are on a 6 amp MCB ?

Better off leaving it to the electrician who is doing the EICR to be honest. But two radials in one MCB does not make 2 circuits - they become part of the one radial.

I have never seen an MK board like that with the Main switch in the middle , I have seen board with the middle switch but Never MK

Could the tails have been to short to reach either side so the electrician reconfigured the board to avoid pulling in new tails ?

It's definitely not an original MK configuration, so it's been jerry rigged - how well remains to be seen.

Do ask the person doing the test to take a picture of it with the cover off for us!

Just one thought, though seems unlikely with the 6A MCBs - there aren't any Economy 7 circuits on that board are there? Wondering if it was a dual tariff board that's been replaced, which is why the tails were originally in the middle....

That looks like a recent board, which means there should have been a Part P notification made at the time of install - worth checking to see whether it was done...

NICEIC Online Certification - http://checkmynotification.com will tell you if it was a member of NICEIC or ELECSA who did it, but there are others. Often it will show up on your local authorities planning portal for your property too.

Reply to location of main switch in consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net