Discuss Lockable/Vandal proof fused spurs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

benieb

Hi I need some unstitched fused spurs that are to be insalled in a challenging location that has a history of misuse and vandalism.

Has anyone come across any spurs that the fuse cannot be easily removed or a lockable enclosure to fit a sput into.

many thanks,

Would you be able to use an IP rated pvc box, will that give you enough protection? If not start looking at metal enclosures.

I'm curious now, where is the fuse spur and why is it getting vandalised all the time? Is it in a location that it should'nt be in? Can it be moved?

Accidentally of course.
When you get this job done don't tell the little scotes that it's vandal proof. Round our way that's not a boast it's a dare.

It is in the bin room of a high rise council block that is used for temporary housing.
Really bad area stabbing daily, shooting weekly. They just want to destroy everything they are given. I've had contractors doing all sorts there but as fast as we put it in they scrap it every night. They have even taken trunking lid off all trunkings to sell the scrap.
Really dire place lots of drug problems.

I had an aunt and uncle who lived in Hemel Hempstead and it was a beautiful place. I'm quite sad to hear it's gone so far downhill

It's not Hemel, I work in Luton, which is as bad as it gets. Not a nice place.
The spurs are the supplies for controls for door entry system for the block. They can't be put in a locked area. The block is very old and not well designed.

A mate of mine is from there, we went downfor his Daughter's christening about 15 years ago. His dad lived in a nice bit of it

- - - Updated - - -

Most of it was as you say though, bloody awful

I work at a rather rough school and in the old part of the building in the toilets, the fused spurs for the hand dryers are metal clad. But over the top they have a metal blank plate!! Its very random indeed but does the job. ;)

Nothing so say that the fuse carrier has to be removable from the outside - what about using blank metal clad boxes with in-line crimp fuse carriers (the auto style ones) inside, and security screws? BGB does actually offer you a large amount of latitude in things like this.

I can't think of one to be honest, the only solution which may or may not work depending on space is a MEM 32 amp metal clad switch fuse, you could change the BS1361 32 amp fuse to a 13 amp and you can actually padlock these switches, they are however around 8" BY 6", however they will do the job, there is a metal handle which you can lift up to switch off and down to a 90 degree position to switch on, the padlock locks between the metal circle surround and the handle, you need to ask your wholesaler though as some of the switch fuses have no metal surround and are not lockable, heres a link it is not an mem, but very similar, Contactum TP&N Switchfuse 20 32 63 100 160 200 250 400 630 Amp as you can see they are lockable although large, perhaps this could be a solution

Kind Regards

Michael

Reply to Lockable/Vandal proof fused spurs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net