Discuss Loft light from Boiler FCU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jay92191

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

I’ve recently had my boiler moved from the kitchen to the airing cupboard upstairs. (Changed to combi)

Prior to this the hot water tank was in the airing cupboard which was being powered from its own circuit on the consumer unit. There was a shower pump powered from an FCU running from the hot water tank circuit.

The current boiler is run off the same circuit on a 3A FCU. The actual circuit is only powering the FCU at the moment.

If I wanted to put an LED batten light in the loft which is directly above, could I run the light from the boiler FCU? So the LED light and boiler are on the same FCU.

The loft is fully boarded so don’t want to cut into it to get to the light circuits.

Many thanks,
J

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I wouldn't put them on the same FCU... if the light goes bang, you could be left without heating/hot water. I would install a second SFCU to supply the light on it's own 3A supply.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I did consider that. So I can just run another FCU from the current one with a 3amp fuse?

Alternative, if I need to lift the boards, I take it I can just cut in to the existing light wiring supply feed and chuck a wago box with connectors on it and do it that way?

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I did consider that. So I can just run another FCU from the current one with a 3amp fuse?

Alternative, if I need to lift the boards, I take it I can just cut in to the existing light wiring supply feed and chuck a wago box with connectors on it and do it that way?
I would suggest if you are going to your latter suggestion you seek the services of an electrician and not suggest solutions you have found on the internet, it also requires 30ma rcd protection.

I would suggest if you are going to your latter suggestion you seek the services of an electrician and not suggest solutions you have found on the internet, it also requires 30ma rcd protection.
Thanks for your reply, which wasn’t really helpful and how have you come to the conclusion that the solutions have been found on the internet. Isn’t the point of this forum to ask for advice, which if you read back, that is what I have done. Thank you.

Thanks for your reply, which wasn’t really helpful and how have you come to the conclusion that the solutions have been found on the internet. Isn’t the point of this forum to ask for advice, which if you read back, that is what I have done. Thank you.
Whilst the forum is happy to give DIY members advice a line must be drawn if you are suggesting solutions which are beyond your level of competence, yes I know it's just wires. As for internet where have you found the term Wago box.

Whilst the forum is happy to give DIY members advice a line must be drawn if you are suggesting solutions which are beyond your level of competence, yes I know it's just wires. As for internet where have you found the term Wago box.
To play devil's advocate - is wago'ing from an existing lighting circuit really beyond...well anyone's competence?

To play devil's advocate - is wago'ing from an existing lighting circuit really beyond...well anyone's competence?
Wago is a brand name and not a type of connection. Is it beyond anyone's competence well, it is beyond some and within others. Does this circuit have 30ma rcd protection.

It's not just about doing the work itself... it's about the additional testing we would do (with equipment no home owner or DIYer is likely to have or want to shell out for) to ensure that the works have not compromised the safety of the circuit.

Reply to Loft light from Boiler FCU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net