Currently reading:
Looking for a cheap test kit

Discuss Looking for a cheap test kit in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pi know what you're both saying but money is a bit tight at the minute hence why I'm starting to do this extra work. This may not work out but I hope it does.

plus trev, I'm not a Geordie, I'm a manc stealing your women :smug:

It sounds like you need to make sure of ALL your costs to get going before you do anything!

Pi know what you're both saying but money is a bit tight at the minute hence why I'm starting to do this extra work. This may not work out but I hope it does.

plus trev, I'm not a Geordie, I'm a manc stealing your women :smug:
a manc could not handle a geordie woman. you couldn't even cope with the scouse rejects we sent up the ship canal to you. :toilet:

I appreciate you don't want to spend much money, but I guess you could say, what are you going to do if you can't get enough work to justify a better one? Sell your other kit and call it a day? Sorry to sound all negative and putting a damper on it.

For me, I set out to mean business and to make sure I get enough work, I didn't start out thinking I'll get some cheap kit then if it works out I'll upgrade, it just doesn't sound very committing IMHO.

But on a positive note, I think you are best off spending the most you can as to avoid buying twice as its false economy, fluke are good, any main brand is good to be honest.

I appreciate you don't want to spend much money, but I guess you could say, what are you going to do if you can't get enough work to justify a better one? Sell your other kit and call it a day? Sorry to sound all negative and putting a damper on it.

For me, I set out to mean business and to make sure I get enough work, I didn't start out thinking I'll get some cheap kit then if it works out I'll upgrade, it just doesn't sound very committing IMHO.

All this is for extra work to top up my wage mate, circumstances have changed (for the better) and I need to make some extra quick cash over the weekends. The last I time I touched domestic properties was around 7 years ago. I may start doing this extra work and not like it, therefore I'm trying to keep my loses to minimum. I also said I don't want to spend much, that doesn't mean I won't spend much on a test kit.

All this is for extra work to top up my wage mate, circumstances have changed (for the better) and I need to make some extra quick cash over the weekends. The last I time I touched domestic properties was around 7 years ago. I may start doing this extra work and not like it, therefore I'm trying to keep my loses to minimum. I also said I don't want to spend much, that doesn't mean I won't spend much on a test kit.

So what is it you do at the moment? What experience and qualifications have you got that are related to the electrical industry?

I have seen some fairly cheap looking kits on ebay over the past year or two but always weary of either them having been pinched or struggling to get money back for a duf tester

Don't discard Mikes offer until you speak to him . He is a well respected member and a good friend, that counts for a lot.
ebay can be very dodgy and you either end up with a stolen tester, or a faulty one.
Look at it this way, if you spent a bit extra and bought the one off Mike and things didn't work out work wise then you could probably still sell it for decent money, maybe even on here.
Speak to him before you make a decision.

Don't discard Mikes offer until you speak to him . He is a well respected member and a good friend, that counts for a lot.
ebay can be very dodgy and you either end up with a stolen tester, or a faulty one.
Look at it this way, if you spent a bit extra and bought the one off Mike and things didn't work out work wise then you could probably still sell it for decent money, maybe even on here.
Speak to him before you make a decision.

I have already spoke with "Mike", I am not disregarding anything, all these comments are putting me off from buying one of eBay now. Not all of them are scammers on eBay, surely the payment protection covers you if the item isn't as described. I understand you're just looking out for people not to get scammed. I will be taking my time over this.

I bought a Metrel off eBay 3 years ago. The chap selling it was straight as a die. £80 for the meter at the end of auction, £40 to have it calibrated, jobs a good un!

Maybe I was lucky, but there are bargains to be had.

I have already spoke with "Mike", I am not disregarding anything, all these comments are putting me off from buying one of eBay now. Not all of them are scammers on eBay, surely the payment protection covers you if the item isn't as described. I understand you're just looking out for people not to get scammed. I will be taking my time over this.
well..

i know of at least one.....

megger all the way. surprised you not bought mike's yet.

Cheers Tel, I have sold it now though bud, had 2 sparks fighting over it in the end, got 400 notes for it as well, not too bad really even though they are 660 plus vat to buy now which works out at 790 quid, I let it go and hope the buyer enjoys it, will last him years.

Reply to Looking for a cheap test kit in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back