Discuss Looking for a cheap test kit in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Manutd4life

As the title say, must be able to do all available test I need to pass my own work off in domestic dwellings. I need the cheapest I can get for now until I know I can get enough work to be able to get a decent set. All opinions and ideas welcome

Thanks in advanced

Take a look on Fleabay mate but be careful because some of it is nicked. There's a forum sponsor which will give you 10% off new kit for being a member here.

Ebay have some real bargains on MFT'S sometimes if you time it right !!!

Take a look on Fleabay mate but be careful because some of it is nicked. There's a forum sponsor which will give you 10% off new kit for being a member here.

I only really know the main brands, fluke, megger etc. are the cheap ones just as good? How cheap can I actually get them? £300? The last time I got a meter calibrated it cost around £30, i don't want to buy the cheapest then find out it costs quite a bit to calibrate the meters once I get them.

Take a look at the DiLog gear mate, a friend of mine has one and it's pretty good. Easy to use, it's not the size of a house and doesn't weigh the same as a 747

MDJ ( respected member) is selling a mint megger 1720 or 1730 cheap. i can vouch for anything he sells as i bought my mft from him 18 months ago and it's still as good as new. you'll not ever need to upgrade from that.

I use a Metrel for my testing. I use the older version of this one....

Metrel MI3000 Easi Plus 17th Edition Multifunction Tester

It really does everything you need it to, and lots you will never use in a domestic situation too. I don't know if this new model has hands free testing, but that is the only gripe I can find with it.

The link above offers the 10% discount to forum members that Trev was talking about.

As above if Mike is selling one I would snap it up, I have got the Megger 1730 and it is a fair bit of kit , it does everything, bluetooth etc.
So as Tel says you won't need to upgrade, I also have the metrel easitest which is completely idiot proof,
Is having 2 mft's greedy or forward thinking????

As above if Mike is selling one I would snap it up, I have got the Megger 1730 and it is a fair bit of kit , it does everything, bluetooth etc.
So as Tel says you won't need to upgrade, I also have the metrel easitest which is completely idiot proof,
Is having 2 mft's greedy or forward thinking????

Saves you the hassle of borrowing one if one packs up.

yes I have a 1720 and it comes with a carry case and a brand new ethos test calibration box, all leads and first class insured signed for delivery, if your interested pm me and we can have a chat.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll have a search on fleabay and the likes and see what I can find. I'm not after any fancy as I think most of those sound quite expensive. If I use it quite a lot then I will consider a better one, up to now this will just to get me by until I know I will use it often

Thanks for all the replies. I'll have a search on fleabay and the likes and see what I can find. I'm not after any fancy as I think most of those sound quite expensive. If I use it quite a lot then I will consider a better one, up to now this will just to get me by until I know I will use it often

you'd be daft to buy from an unknown source on ebay when mike's offerring you the top of the range megger , known to be kosher.

Apart from the risk of buying stolen gear on fleabay there's always the old saying to consider "Buy cheap buy twice"
Get on to Mike or you're not a proper Geordie ye madheed.
You won;t need to upgrade from that tester mate

you'd be daft to buy from an unknown source on ebay when mike's offerring you the top of the range megger , known to be kosher.

Apart from the risk of buying stolen gear on fleabay there's always the old saying to consider "Buy cheap buy twice"
Get on to Mike or you're not a proper Geordie ye madheed.
You won;t need to upgrade from that tester mate

Pi know what you're both saying but money is a bit tight at the minute hence why I'm starting to do this extra work. This may not work out but I hope it does.

plus trev, I'm not a Geordie, I'm a manc stealing your women :smug:

Reply to Looking for a cheap test kit in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net