Discuss looking for apprenticeship, Any advice? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently looking for an apprenticeship as an electrician. I have passed my level 2 in electrical installation at Chelmsford college in Essex.

I have 10 GCSE Passes, mostly Grades 5 and 4 in Chemistry, Geography, Physics, Biology, English Literature, English Language, Art & Design, Computer Science, Mathematics and Digital Information Technology.

I would also be happy to find a position as an electrician's "mate". If there are any companies looking for someone with my current skill set and qualifications please contact me

Many thanks

Ajay

This is sad, its the only topic on here that hasn't had any replies. But I can fully understand why.

We have taken on an apprentice but only because its my business partners nephew, if it was just me then there is no way I would take anyone young on and this apprentice we've got is proving me correct.

He doesn't listen, just leaves everything on the floor after he has finished with it like a kid would do with his toys, cant remember anything from 5 seconds ago and stares at his phone every couple on minutes. He also takes an absolute age to do anything, 30 minutes to swap 3 switch fronts today. I'm sure he thinks he is still in school and the jobs we give him are just a lesson that he doesn't care if he gets an "F" for. The only plus points is he drives and he hasn't got attitude thinking he's a plastic gangster.

But for anyone who doesn't have to take an apprentice on, why would they? You just open yourself up to a whole world of potential hurt.

Sorry to ---- on your chips but every single tradesman I've spoken to in the last few years has said there is no way on earth they would take a young apprentice on nowadays, I've seen more old timer dads as a tradesman's helper just recently than I have younguns. Must be a ----er if you have worked hard on your qualifications.

There are apprenticehips to be found out there and not every aspiring electrician is a waste of space (granted a good number are).

Posting here shows a measure of initiative and enthusiasm, so I'd advise the OP to keep plugging away and hopefully something turns up. I can't offer help, but I will offer encouragement.

I'd mainly encourage the original poster not to give up.

Print out your post (it's worded very well by the way) and also make some smaller cards. Visit as many electrical merchants as you can find and ask if you can leave a card / poster.
(The only thing I'd add is if you have a driving license and/or transport.)

I've recently found someone local to me due to the fact they wrote a post rather similar to yours on this forum. We've adopted an informal arrangement where he invoices me. It's early days, he's now done 3 jobs with me, but he's been brilliant.

I'm sure there are sole traders in your area who need your help even if it starts off helping carry tools and cable pulling.
So keep at it!

Hi, I'm currently looking for an apprenticeship as an electrician. I have passed my level 2 in electrical installation at Chelmsford college in Essex.

I have 10 GCSE Passes, mostly Grades 5 and 4 in Chemistry, Geography, Physics, Biology, English Literature, English Language, Art & Design, Computer Science, Mathematics and Digital Information Technology.

I would also be happy to find a position as an electrician's "mate". If there are any companies looking for someone with my current skill set and qualifications please contact me

Many thanks

Ajay
Hi Ajay, how old are you????

That will be a major factor in a company taking you on for your Level 3, as an apprentice with the government financial subsidies.

If not, WHY don’t you take your honest CV down to every Wholesalers and ask to display it.

Even better, spend time in the wholesaler store and approach every sparky that comes in..!!!!

If you show the initiative and drive…!!!

You’ll get recognised and respected..!!!

REMEMBER:- A lot of the successful qualified sparkys who have their own companies are ‘Mature in their years’ and will respect an individual who’s prepared to stand out and be better from the others.

One of my first guys, got himself a job behind the counter at the wholesalers and I got to know him that way.!!

His now running his own company with 2 x apprentices of his own..!!!

He deserves it.!!!!!

Reply to looking for apprenticeship, Any advice? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net