Discuss Low Generation in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have been out to look at a system that is generating less than expected.

It has 21 x 190 watt Suntech modules. 9 on one string and 12 on the other.

The irradiance at the time of the test was 800 watts

Open circuit voltage was String 1 304 Volts and 4.47 Amps String 2 419 Volts and 4.49 Amps

The inverter is a Aurora Power On 3600 outd the display showed string 1 778 watts and string 2 1165 watts

I feel this was low for a 4 kW system.

Any thoughts? I feel the modules are ok ?

Thanks

Stuart

Hi, I'm not expert with solar, but I checked out that panel's spec for 800W/m2, which do seem to show reduced output at that irradiance.

Also, your Voc was about 34V, specs say about 41V at 800W/m2 (?). How old are the panels?

http://enviro-friendly.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/suntech-190W-solar-panel-specs2.pdf

IMG_0714.PNG

Last edited:
That seems OK to me.
Nameplate 190W rating of modules is most likely at standard test conditions, e.g. AM 1.5, 20oC ambient temperature, and 1000W/m2 irradiance.

At the time of your visit the measured irradiance was 20% lower and the ambient temperature was probably greater than 20oC.

I suggest finding a data sheet for the modules, it may show the difference in performance under lower irradiance and values for temperature coefficient.

Orientation, elevation, shading, degradation, when you measured the irradiance was that perpendicular to the panels or direct at the sun?

Sounds like a 2011 system so 6 years degradation (say 5%) , panels were also probably +0% -5% at that time, so panel output possibly down by 10% anyway.

Reply to Low Generation in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net