Discuss Lucien's quick Tuesday quiz in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lucien Nunes

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Every three weeks I get to hang around the Royal Free Hospital between blood tests, physical exam, scans etc that take a few hours of separate appointments. Not all locations in the building have enough signal to get an internet connection so I tend to work offline writing letters etc. This morning I'm short of offline jobs and only have the MacBook Air which doesn't have all my stuff on it, so here's a 2-minute quiz about electrics at the turn of the century. I might make this a regular slot.

1. A Nernst lamp contains a:
a) Blower
b) Flower
c) Glower
d) Thrower

2. Which is the largest cable:
a) 19/12
b) 37/16
c) 19/20
d) 7/22

3. Wooden casing is fitted with:
a) Basing
b) Facing
c) Capping
d) Strapping

4. IEE Rule 48: Fuses may be considered too large if they are not warm on full load, and too small if they:
a) Blow within 3 weeks of normal use
b) Buzz audibly
c) Sag or discolour on application of 10% overload
d) Hiss when moistened

5. Two common sizes of semi-enclosed arc lamp are rated at 1000 and 2000:
a) VA
b) mA
c) hours
d) c.p.

6. A radiant heater of the Dowsing type is fitted with:
a) Spaghetti coils
b) Sausage lamps
c) Biscuit bars
d) Mushroom diffusers

7. Dynamos used for charging accumulators should be:
a) Non-inductive
b) At least 4-pole
c) Shunt-wound
d) Compensated

8 A ‘B.L.’ incandescent lamp has:
a) Bayonet Lugs
b) Ballasted Leads
c) Bottom Loops
d) British Lamp-makers’ (cartel) conformity

9. A 2-phase AC circuit might incorporate a:
a) BESA
b) Caesar
c) MESA
d) Teaser

10. IEE Rule 38: Joints between flexible conductors and permanent wires under flooring or in wood-casing are prohibited. Joints constitute a source of weakness and they must, therefore, be accessible, and it is recommended that their positions be indicated by a:
a) Prominent Matthew
b) Conspicuous Mark
c) Noticeable Luke
d) Visible John

:)

1. A
2. C
3. C
4. D
5. D
6.B
7. A
8. D
9. C
10. C

Based purely on statistical analysis! 😂

2/4, but again the deliberately spurious answer to Q10 shows you are not playing to win. I believe there are rules against that sort of activity. FWIW the answers to that one might be daft but the question is a direct quote from the regs, and make a point that we are still arguing about 120 years later.

2/4, but again the deliberately spurious answer to Q10 shows you are not playing to win. I believe there are rules against that sort of activity. FWIW the answers to that one might be daft but the question is a direct quote from the regs, and make a point that we are still arguing about 120 years later.

Bugger, that was a mistake on my part. Obviously Q10 is B.

I'm sure I got the fuse one right - I seem to remember seeing the original 2 page regs document and it nentioning hissing. Although the heat answer sounds more reasonable to be fair

I'll have a go, 99% guesswork!!
1660065128659.png

1C, 2B, 3B, 4C, 5D, 6A, 7D, 8D, 9D, 10D

3/10 - still better than pure chance.

Clues at 9pm

Bugger, that was a mistake on my part. Obviously Q10 is B.

I'm sure I got the fuse one right - I seem to remember seeing the original 2 page regs document and it nentioning hissing. Although the heat answer sounds more reasonable to be fair
Rather a funny coincidence that another thread happened to post the original 1882 document today of all days:

1660066933236.png

Following a bit of research (I'm still on holiday!) the correct answer will depend on whether @Lucien Nunes wants the "turn of the century installation" to be tested against the 3rd edition of 1897, or the progressive 4th edition (1903).
Actually I don't think it was rule 48 in the 3rd so that answers that!

1. A Nernst lamp contains a:
a) Blower
b) Flower
c) Glower
d) Thrower

2. Which is the largest cable:
a) 19/12
b) 37/16
c) 19/20
d) 7/22

3. Wooden casing is fitted with:
a) Basing
b) Facing
c) Capping
d) Strapping

4. IEE Rule 48: Fuses may be considered too large if they are not warm on full load, and too small if they:
a) Blow within 3 weeks of normal use
b) Buzz audibly
c) Sag or discolour on application of 10% overload
d) Hiss when moistened

5. Two common sizes of semi-enclosed arc lamp are rated at 1000 and 2000:
a) VA
b) mA
c) hours
d) c.p.

6. A radiant heater of the Dowsing type is fitted with:
a) Spaghetti coils
b) Sausage lamps
c) Biscuit bars
d) Mushroom diffusers

7. Dynamos used for charging accumulators should be:
a) Non-inductive
b) At least 4-pole
c) Shunt-wound
d) Compensated

8 A ‘B.L.’ incandescent lamp has:
a) Bayonet Lugs
b) Ballasted Leads
c) Bottom Loops
d) British Lamp-makers’ (cartel) conformity

9. A 2-phase AC circuit might incorporate a:
a) BESA
b) Caesar
c) MESA
d) Teaser

10. IEE Rule 38: Joints between flexible conductors and permanent wires under flooring or in wood-casing are prohibited. Joints constitute a source of weakness and they must, therefore, be accessible, and it is recommended that their positions be indicated by a:
a) Prominent Matthew
b) Conspicuous Mark
c) Noticeable Luke
d) Visible John

:)

Taking a crack before reading replies.

Blind luck is bound to mean at least one right 😄

Reply to Lucien's quick Tuesday quiz in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock