Discuss Main isolator replaced with RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
A POST FOR DISCUSSION

An EICR in my rented flat concluded that an RCD was required among a few other small jobs. I was away while the remedials were carried out but these photo are of the work which was done.

The double pole main isolator was removed and replaced with the 80A RCD and among other problems with the jobs they did, the neutral from the RCD had never been tightened up so they did no testing either.

There's a few things in the photo that jump out to me but I'd just like to hear your thoughts on what they've done.

Attachments

• 20210520_180551_compress84.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 99
  • 20210520_180546_compress99.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 98
  • 20210520_183109_compress99.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
The busbar shield is also missing MK ones slide under the clips of the back box and cover the bar they don't physically touch it.

As above. That RCD doesn't fit. The RCD is being twisted up and the MCBs are being twisted down, and the cover will not fit on properly.
Why on earth didn't they scratch off the printed L and N at the top of the RCD and connect it with neaureal on the left and live o the right. Three must be a VERY tight clearance where the busbar passes the neutral at the bottom, fused only by the DNO cut out.

It’s not a good job, have you received an installation certificate?

It's not a good job at all. Even if a correctly fitting RCD had been sourced and fitted, it's still very poor practice to have the whole flat on a single RCD. A neutral -earth fault will leave the tenant with no electricity at all.
I'm intrigued as to why? There's plenty of examples on here of CU's being condemned and replaced unnecessarily, but with this one, there are reasons for a replacement, but the electrician has chosen to bodge. This is the kind of solution I'd expect from a DIYer, trying to save their cash.

Such a shame the plumber butchered that board by fitting a wylex rcd and snapping off the left lid screw.
the original board with the original main switch was a nice job who ever first installed it

Flipping heck. That's rough as a badgers ar.....
have you received an installation certificate?
Only someone totally ill-informed about the dangers of what they have done or someone completely stupid would put their name to that.....surely!

They've almost certainly made the problem worse, not better. If this was instructed by a letting agent or landlord then I'd be demanding a second EICR - by someone else - and telling them not to pay the bill!

RCBOs are still available for MK boards anyway, even from the old stock (Type A ones available now from some places even) - so even if they were desperate not to change the board, they were options.

This screams Cheap EICR, carry out as many quick remedials as possible and overcharge, then run....

I'd be interested to see the EIC for this work - or indeed the "satisfactory" EICR that resulted....

Plenty of stock fo RCBOS out there, prior to honeywell stopping their own MK production they put 10 years worth of stock in a warehouse in case of warranty claims - gather the legal folk made them.
Circpro now make the MK stuff. there is also plenty of rcbos from reliable sellers online tested and as good as new. I often source them for ev charger installs.

Reply to Main isolator replaced with RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net