Discuss Main panel upgrade for Solar ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jacknhut

DIY
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a homeowner and have a solar project coming up. I intend to install a 9kw solar system but I am not sure if I have to upgrade my main panel or not.

I have a 200A main panel with only 3 breaker slots, 1 is 100A double pole breaker feeding the sub panel located inside the home, the other 2 slots are 50A for AC and 30A for pool motor. There is no 200A main breaker in this main panel.

There is no room for any additional circuits breaker. The solar project that I plan to get installed would need 60A breaker and I would need to install a level 2 car charger as well which is 40A breaker.

Is there a way to install a 60A breaker for PV and 40A breaker for level 2 car charger without replacing the main panel? Would installing another 100A sub panel for solar and car charger possible ?

Any idea ? Here is the pic of the main panel:

Attachments

• IMG_0929.jpeg
    400.2 KB · Views: 10
Hello,

I am a homeowner and have a solar project coming up. I intend to install a 9kw solar system but I am not sure if I have to upgrade my main panel or not.

I have a 200A main panel with only 3 breaker slots, 1 is 100A double pole breaker feeding the sub panel located inside the home, the other 2 slots are 50A for AC and 30A for pool motor. There is no 200A main breaker in this main panel.

There is no room for any additional circuits breaker. The solar project that I plan to get installed would need 60A breaker and I would need to install a level 2 car charger as well which is 40A breaker.

Is there a way to install a 60A breaker for PV and 40A breaker for level 2 car charger without replacing the main panel? Would installing another 100A sub panel for solar and car charger possible ?

Pic of the inside of the panel

Attachments

• IMG_0928.jpeg
    325.9 KB · Views: 6
Hello,

I am assuming you are resolved since your question in April

Reply to Main panel upgrade for Solar ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net