Discuss Maintenance free junction boxes in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DAGIUS

Hello

This is my fist post so go easy please.

I am using an Ashley J803 maintenance free junction box to join 2 2.5mm T&E cables. There is no other option but to create a join due to access issues, so it is unavoidable. It is under the subfloor on the ground floor so access will be limited (have to lift wood flooring , not impossible but will be very inconvenient) .

My question is this:

Is there any good reason I should not place the JB in a converted tin box (quality street) to keep it damp proof and bug proof (more so than it already is)

alternatively if anyone knows of a water tight "maintenance free" junction box, even better, I can not find one.

I would generally say that if you are worried about the box getting damp then it is really not a good place for a junction box, perhaps there are alternatives to this location if you were to join the cable further back.

However for electricians by electricians do make a useful junction box that is maintenance free but does not have the marking so you need to buy the MF labelled Cable ties as well.
They also sell a kit to enable the JB to be an IP67 JB, which is a rubber cover over the joint and cable glands, however this precludes the use of the cable ties unless they were fixed over the outside. So although I am sure it would be compliant, I am not quite sure if all the features can come together.
They probably can and I think it would be a suitable and secure arrangement.

The standard line boxes on their own are quite handy as well, give them a try.

small IP dappy box with stuffing glands on it, just use normal wago's/line inside it.

OMG am I reading this right,a quality street tin?,Why bother with an mf junction box when a bit of 15A terminal block and a roll of tape will do the job! ffs either use the right gear or leave the job to somebody else.

Hello

This is my fist post so go easy please.

I am using an Ashley J803 maintenance free junction box to join 2 2.5mm T&E cables. There is no other option but to create a join due to access issues, so it is unavoidable. It is under the subfloor on the ground floor so access will be limited (have to lift wood flooring , not impossible but will be very inconvenient) .

My question is this:

Is there any good reason I should not place the JB in a converted tin box (quality street) to keep it damp proof and bug proof (more so than it already is)

alternatively if anyone knows of a water tight "maintenance free" junction box, even better, I can not find one.

As Murdoch says,screw to a joist. If you have standing water up to floor level, you've got bigger problems than one junction box. Don't try to make it "waterproof", especially with twin and earth cable; you'll just stop it drying out in the event of any water entry or condensation. You'd be better off making sure that it has a drain hole in the bottom.

OMG am I reading this right,a quality street tin?,Why bother with an mf junction box when a bit of 15A terminal block and a roll of tape will do the job! ffs either use the right gear or leave the job to somebody else.
Phil can you please stop sitting on the fence. Just tell it like it is man
:)

Wrap a couple of yards of this aroond it & it'll be just champion!!

Gaffer Tape - Used and recommended by Roadies for fixing anything anywhere anytime!!

Duct-tape.jpg

Reply to Maintenance free junction boxes in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net