Discuss MCS Paperwork / signing off other people's work in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SolarSparky1

Hi

I'm an MCS (NICEIC) and REAL accrecredited PV installer. To date I have carried out a number of installations from start to finish i.e. providing materials, fitting panels, commissioning etc. This means I have also done all paperwork from the initial quotation and contract to commissioning certificate and MCS Certificate and handover pack.

I have now been asked to commission panels that another company has installed. This other company are not MCS registered but they manufacture MCS registered solar tiles and fit them (they are a roofing company).

They want me to commission and provide certification. I have spoken to MCS and REAL who say that as the other company are not MCS I have to do all paperwork from start to finish. Which means a huge amount of work for me (well, my wife who does my office work). How can I enter into a contract and provide a quote to the customer when the tiles are already on the roof?

I notice a few people have been on here asking for companies to commission and certify their installations and I just wondered how you go about it? Do you do all the paperwork from start to finish including contracts? If not, how do you get round that?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

It's covered by parts 8 and 10 of Appendix A of MCS001. Read what it says and see what you think.
8. A contract for the sale and installation of a system shall be entered into only between an MCS certified Company and a Customer. An MCS certified Company may carry out work under subcontract to another MCS certified Company in which case clause 10 must be satisfied.

10. In installations for private customers, any work within the scope of the scheme not undertaken by employees of the Contractor shall be managed through a formal subcontract agreement between the two parties in accordance with the policies and procedures employed by the certificated Contractor. These procedures shall ensure that the subcontractor undertakes the work in accordance with the requirements of the relevant installation standard.

I would say that if, as it sounds like, the customer has already entered into a contract with the non-MCS company (a legal contract may exist even if no paperwork has been signed) that you cannot now sign them off as it is too late. You needed to be involved before there was any sort of contractual obligation between them.

A contract for the sale and installation of a system shall be entered into only between an MCS certified Company and a Customer
Not very clear or water tight that bit in my opinion and probably why a company in Essex with a barristor as one of it's directors is subbing to sales companies that are not mcs or real registered.

The only way I can see you could do this legally would be for the roofing company to be a suncontractor of your company.
This isn't the same as non MCS sales leads which has been discussed elswhere.

There is always the possibility of someone putting up a legal challenge against the MCS rules if they think they are unfair, unreasonable or, possibly, not even legally enforceable for some reason.

But no one has done it yet.

I, well some friends, have a similar problem. They had a P.V. system installed by a company (Safe Solar) in November 2012, since then they have been trying in vain to get the certificates in order to apply form the FIT payments. The company is just ignoring their calls and letters and appears to be fobbing them off with excuse after excuse. The system is operating fine and apparently someone has already been to verify the installation. Is there anyone out there who they (or I) can call in to get the system certified? I have become involved because they asked me if I could verify the system but I have not done any MCS (yet!) and so cannot. Hence my posting here... Any clues from you knowledgeable members?

I, well some friends, have a similar problem. They had a P.V. system installed by a company (Safe Solar) in November 2012, since then they have been trying in vain to get the certificates in order to apply form the FIT payments. The company is just ignoring their calls and letters and appears to be fobbing them off with excuse after excuse. The system is operating fine and apparently someone has already been to verify the installation. Is there anyone out there who they (or I) can call in to get the system certified? I have become involved because they asked me if I could verify the system but I have not done any MCS (yet!) and so cannot. Hence my posting here... Any clues from you knowledgeable members?

Looks like the have gone bust if you read these reviews (complaints!) Safe Solar Ltd - www.safesolar.co.uk Reviews | Solar Energy | Review Centre

They should contact MCS and REAL about the situation. Unfortunately this is becoming all too commmon and its the same thing we hear every time with reagards to the complaints

Reply to MCS Paperwork / signing off other people's work in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net