Discuss Metal consumer units in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I started an installation in a new extension that received planning permission 5 years ago and have been using stock that was purchased before that time. The consumer unit has a plastic case and I am still running cable from and to it. Should I continue using this unit or change it for a metal case? There would be a considerable extra cost in time alone!

I take it the consumers unit has been installed for some time now?
If so was the design before July 2015, also had an EIC been provided for its installation and building control notified before Jan 2016.
If yes to all of the above, continue to use the plastic consumers unit. If no to any of the above, then you will need to bring the unit up to date with a metal casing type.

The NICEIC man (yeah I know :cool3:) told me if designed after June 2015, then it should be an amendment 3?
Page 5 "Installations designed after 30th June 2015 are to comply with BS7671:2008 incorporating Amendment 3:2015"

Last edited:
Good point, if it was designed after June 2015 and planned to be installed after January 2016 then the requirements at the time inform you that non combustible CUs must be used so the plan should reflect that.
If the plan was to install before January 2016 then a non combustible CU could be used but was not required, so if a plastic CU was specified but the install was delayed until after January 2016 the plastic CU could still be used, but then you are starting to push against the limits of good workmanship; but maintaining good business sense as the customer is unlikely to want to pay more after the specification is drawn up.

If the plan was to install before January 2016 then a non combustible CU could be used but was not required

Hard to know. The Wiring Regulations do state that installations designed before 1st July 2015 (forgive me if the date is wrong - just gone off the top of my head) could be to the 2nd Amendment, but this doesn't necessarily mean that the delayed implementation of 421.1.201 includes an Amendment 3 design before that date. If installed after 1st January 2016 in my opinion the safer option would be to comply with that Regulation rather than claim that a design between 1st July and 1st January allows the installation of it now.

A few thoughts -

The regulations put in an extension of 6months to allow for overlap in design to fitting of equipment, where this was exceeded by 3 or 4 weeks due to delays etc then I'm sure it can be argued that the original plastic CU can be fitted but we are now 6months down the line from the cut off date so the designed prior to july 2015 really is no longer an excuse, a meeting with the client should have been made and the situation discussed, the plastic CU can still be used as long as its boxed in a fire proof surround which will be an extra at the clients expense.

On the other side of the coin - plastic has been used for decades and if fitted correctly and terminals are tight then no real hazards should exist, this however is not a reason for not complying to the reg's AM'3 which I personally believe have been brought in as a knee jerk reaction due to a drop in standards in the trade and a marked reduction in quality of CU's due to mass production and competition.

A few thoughts -

The regulations put in an extension of 6months to allow for overlap in design to fitting of equipment, where this was exceeded by 3 or 4 weeks due to delays etc then I'm sure it can be argued that the original plastic CU can be fitted but we are now 6months down the line from the cut off date so the designed prior to july 2015 really is no longer an excuse, a meeting with the client should have been made and the situation discussed, the plastic CU can still be used as long as its boxed in a fire proof surround which will be an extra at the clients expense.

On the other side of the coin - plastic has been used for decades and if fitted correctly and terminals are tight then no real hazards should exist, this however is not a reason for not complying to the reg's AM'3 which I personally believe have been brought in as a knee jerk reaction due to a drop in standards in the trade and a marked reduction in quality of CU's due to mass production and competition.

AND in the good old days CU's were made of wood and also metal - the biggest difference is that the internal components were built to last and were of good quality. Often there were 2 screws for each of the live and neutral incomers...

I take it the consumers unit has been installed for some time now?
If so was the design before July 2015, also had an EIC been provided for its installation and building control notified before Jan 2016.
If yes to all of the above, continue to use the plastic consumers unit. If no to any of the above, then you will need to bring the unit up to date with a metal casing type.

Thanks for your advice I will check with building control.

I think you will be fine. Double check your connections and make sure it's all nicely sealed up.
There are hundreds and thousands of plastic cu out there. 99% are good for 30 years.
We all install metal now , but we all still live in the real world surely.

I think you will be fine. Double check your connections and make sure it's all nicely sealed up.
There are hundreds and thousands of plastic cu out there. 99% are good for 30 years.
We all install metal now , but we all still live in the real world surely.

Thanks for your advice. The real world seems to be shrinking as red tape increases!

Reply to Metal consumer units in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net