Discuss Metal tile look-a-like roof. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Markc

-
Reaction score
Survey today has raised an issue I'm not to sure about. I have an idea but not to keen on them.

The roof is made up from a light weight, metal look-a-like tile. The sheet takes the size of two rows of tiles and is about 1mt long. Each joint is lapped to the one above, below (Like laying bricks) They cannot be removed to allow roof anchor fixing so the questions are:

Does anyone know what this type of roof is called other than pain in the rear?

What roof anchors to use?

I'm thinking roof bolt as used for slate roofs but I don't like these due to drilling through the tile. Theres also not much to pull the gasket down to as a slightest amount of weight on them and they bow down.

I question their water tightness because of this.

Thanks in advance and pictures attached. roof 1.jpgrooof 2.jpg

How are the sheets secured to the roof?

..........Yes? Not sure. I think they will start from the bottom and be nailed in place and use the ridge caps to cover the last fixings but I not sure. You can't lift one to see under it. It just will not move.

@Markc

Don't think you've got any choice other than roof bolts.

Two ways to solve the potential roof bolt problem of 'squashing' the covering, one is the way that Baxi say to do it (see my post in the Slate debate)

The other is the new schletter fixing which have a spacing sleeve, and anchor into timber, the sleeve stops the metal covering collapsing, I'll see if I can find the video links...

aha: YouTube - Schletter FixT Solar Mounting Roof Attachment (Featuring Wood Rafters) (they also have a fitting that goes on a single post, don;t have to do double)

and this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3g7EWEP_7Q

You can mix and match

Last edited:
@Worcester,

The Baxi is so similar to the Schuco bolt. I like the look of the Schletter bolt. Do you know where you can get these? if so would you mind and PM me.

The second issue is the ceilings are faulted and i have no idea where the roof timbers are.

Attachments

• rof bolt.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
DSCF1420.jpg Click-Fit do one too.

Reply to Metal tile look-a-like roof. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net