Discuss meter calibration in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

iamelectric

if i get my meter calibrated , ( megger 1552) and then buy a check box and the values are spot on after a year do i have to pay someone to basically do nothing and calibrate it again , also when testin zs sometimes the noise on the circuit symbol cums up anyone know what this means

if you are in a scheme as in select or niceic the answer is yes. they want to see a calibration certificate
you would only have to have one set of gear calibrated though.
i have two sets that i cross-reference against each other if get a queer reading on something.
as a matter of fact i checked them all yesterday on my megger checkbox and they were all pretty spot on with the last results.
only my metrel is calibrated as its the newest one.the megger gear was spot on though.
the circuit noise indicator comes on if something is putting electrical noise on the circuit like a motor or a switch mode power supply, fridge etc nothing to worry about but it blocks the test at times

Beg to differ Dcf, NIC are happy if you have reference test card, as long as you keep a monthly instrument log. You can check against a known value. "comparitive cross checks with other test equipment"

i stand corrected moo!
only going on past experience with an niceic contractor i worked with.they had about 15 lads at the time though
Select do want to see a calibration cert but as my 2nd set of test gear proves 2 years out of calibration and its on the money
if i wasnt in a scheme i wouldnt bother if my meters read ok tbh.
i look after my testers. they are no good if they give false readings for sure

I am not in scheme anymore, subby for registered contractors generally. cross check and look after your kit, couldn't agree more.

the calibration thing is a recent invention that is really all about arse covering nothing else.
someones house burns down
had any electrical work done
yes
any test results
yes
is the meter calibrated
eh no
sorry no pay out
doesnt matter that the install is burnt to crisp and you couldnt check it anyway
I've seen identical testers in calibration give results that were miles apart so how do you deal with that?
we all know its balls but its a sad part of the blame culture we imported from the usa.
i think ill make up the test results in the van from now on and not bother doing any testing:frown2:

Calibration isn't a new invention! It has been going on in laboratories, engineering workshops and anywhere that uses high accuracy test or measuring equipment for years.

Do any of the testing courses cover the correct use and reading of meters? I mean things like understanding the possible errors, accuracy, how the meter rounds results up/down and the importance of leaving test equipment to normalise with the site conditions before use (temperature, humidity etc)
None of it ever got mentioned on my various C+G courses, I learned about testing, testers and measurements from my A level physics lessons.

Beg to differ Dcf, NIC are happy if you have reference test card, as long as you keep a monthly instrument log. You can check against a known value. "comparitive cross checks with other test equipment"

This issue has cropped up on a number of occasions on the forum. So much so that I have sought to clarify this, and it is most definitely NOT approved NICEIC policy.

When Tony Cable (NICEIC Senior Marketing and Events Engineer, formerly NICEIC Operations Engineer and the featured expert in their inspection and testing videos) was asked specifically about this at the NICEIC Tech-talk public forum at ELEX 2010 he said:
What a lot of contractors misunderstand is that the NICEIC inspector does not always look at the annual calibration certificate but focuses on the checks made on the instrument using a checkbox or another method, that the records are kept and consistent. This does not mean that the NICEIC don't expect the tester to be annually calibrated that should be taken as read. I always tell the contractors that calibration is a requirement, which apart from the obvious, it could also make any manufacturer guarantee invalid, and should always be carried out by the due date.

As a result of a number of forum members questioning this view in the light of their assessments, I asked Tony, at ELEX 2011, 2012 and 2013 if this was still the view of the NICEIC and in 2012 he said: "Yes absolutely, nothing has changed in NICEIC policy, and since you raised this with me last year I have been making sure our assessors are all aware of this." This year he said "Please report any further instances of regional assessors not asking for annual calibration certificates to me directly, so that I may reinforce NICEIC policy with the individuals concerned to prevent a repeat of this oversight."

Last edited by a moderator:
Years ago calibration was sending the tester off and some guy adjusting a few pots fine but now our equipment is getting more digital we now have Calibration Checks ie is the tester still within limits. As I remember years ago getting a say a humidity tester back years ago and checking it with a sling or whirling hydrometer as they say and they never matched up. Things got that bad that i used to calibrate humidity and temperature sensors to the customers test meter because he said his was better calibrated as for checkbox fine but where do you stop and if there was a problem the first thing they would do is check your tester to see if its within limits

Reply to meter calibration in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net