Discuss Microinverters under threat due to MCS in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MCS Renewables

The use of microinverters seems to be under threat being that the MCS have written a paper asking for DC isolators on these systems.

Will post more information over the weekend when I get hard copy.

really? I thought the new guide specifically allowed for individual panel microinverters to not have a DC isolator - according to Martin Cotteral's blog on SPP that's the case, but for some stupid reason they do want DC isolators for dual panel microinverters.

how are you supposed to fit a DC isolator to a microinverter, and why would you need to! bunch of idiots!
either you'd have to bring all the cables in through the roof, so that'd be 16 x roof penetrations for a 4kW system, or you have to install 16 additional leak / bad connection potential points externally, then fix them to the rails where no body could reach them anyway until they've got the panel off.

That's just such a ridiculous idea I was really hoping Martin had written that a bit prematurely for April Fools day - stuff like that just holds the entire thing up to ridicule, and negates all the good stuff that the guide has got right.

I've only used enphase and that's not how they work. Each microinverter has a plug that goes into an AC cable supplied with ready connected plugs. Unless they fundamentally change the design it aint gonna work, and why would you anyway!

Never fitted microinvertors before, but by judgeing by the replys here it seems utter nonsense. left and right hand springs to mind again.

Just to clear things up I got the information from David Evans at Enecsys and having just sought clarity this is only going to apply to ground mount systems.

Still makes no sense to me.

Just to clear things up shade the information from David Evans at Enecsys and having just sought clarity this is only going to apply to ground mount systems.

Still makes no sense to me.

Why would you install a ground mounted system in the shade just so you can use micro inverters? Oh yes, and lots of DC switches too.

Reply to Microinverters under threat due to MCS in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net