Discuss Microwave - 20A Circuit Required in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

canadian

DIY
Reaction score
Hi everyone - new forum member here, looking for some guidance / advice before I try this myself or hire a certified electrician

From Quebec, Canada. House was built in 2009, with everything seemingly 'up to code' -- previous homeowner spared little expense. The microwave in the kitchen has a normal (15A?) receptacle on it (see picture 01.jpg attached). Just purchased a Frigidaire FPMO3077TF microwave / convection oven combo unit that apparently requires a dedicated 20A circuit - it even has a special (20A?) plug (see picture 02.jpg attached). The microwave is on its own circuit in the fuse box. I took out the receptacle to look at the wiring, trying to figure out if I can simply swap out the current 15A receptacle for a 20A one (see example in picture 03.jpg attached), but from what I've read, the wiring behind it needs to be 12AWG instead of 14AWG. Is this true? I removed the receptacle to have a look at the wiring behind it - I can't seem to find my caliper anywhere, but from what I can (roughly) measure, it's around 3mm in diameter, which from what understand is ~8-10AWG? Can anyone tell me from the picture of the wiring (see picture 04.jpg attached) what gauge this is? I see no marking on the wires themselves.

More importantly, do I have this all pretty well understood?

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 02.jpg
    374.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 03.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 04.jpg
    373.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
to me that cable appears capable of handling 20A, but wait till Megawatt sees your post. he's far more conversant with US and Canada's cable sizes and codes.

Reply to Microwave - 20A Circuit Required in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net