Search the forum,

Discuss Milwaukee or Makita?? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Spark92

Im soon going to need a new set of power tools. Due to i only have cheap and cheerful drills to keep me plodding along. Im trying to decide weather to go for milwaukee over makita. Any of you guys have any milwaukee tools? Or have tried them n think makita is better? Please help me :) cheers people.

J

I have a milwaukee combi drill and circular saw. Both brilliant bits of kit.
I haven't tried recent makita battery stuff but I'm guessing there won't be much between the brands for build quality and reliability. I stand to be corrected if anyone has had problems with makita.

Which tools are you looking at getting ? This might have a bearing on your choice either due to expense, or a relevant kit that has the exact tools you need.

Have a look on the web for kits then and see if either manufacturer do a specific kit that has all your needs. They usually come in a wide variety of permutations.
I can definitely reccommend milwaukee though:wink:

Used Makita for most of my time, but did some work for a stretch with Milwaukee stuff and loved it. Little heavy, but solid. That new Milwaukee Fuel drill looks immense. Most powerful lightweight drill in its class, with great batteries.

As Andy said, up to a certain point, its probably all very similar at a similar price, just comes down to preference at that point and for me ergonomics of the design and how comfortable they are to use for prolonged periods. Makita are a time proved brand that make great tools, imo you can't go wrong with Makita gear.

As for the radio, i have 4 here at work. They aren't bad, but unless you get the DAB version, they are a bugger to tune and never seem to hold a signal very well, also have a pretty low volume output (although i like to be deafened a little when i have my music on haha).

Hmm yeh . I do like to blast music on my site aswell haha! I think milwaukee are a tad more expensive but im not sure if you pay that lil extra is worth it :)

It's solid gear no doubt. Do you have any existing batteries? I had a surplus of dewalt batteries so now ALL of my stuff is dewalt as i was buying bare units and just using existing batteries, which is an economical way of stocking up on tools as bare units are fractions of the price, its the batteries that cost you.

If it wasn't for the dewalt batteries i would probably be on the Milwaukee train. However...... the new Bosch range can't be overlooked.

I had a couple of Makita combi's and both worked well, But after about a year they both went kaput, one lost it's gears and the other wwould only go in reverse. Even after repair they werent great. So I got some of the Milwaukee 12v Gear, and It was great for lightweight stuff, and I now have the Milwaukee fuel (Brushless) and It's ace. Very strong and It certainly feels reliable. So For me it's Milwaukee all the way. That said one of the Blokes I work with recently bought the 18v Milwaukee (Not brushless) and after a week had to send a battery back and now his drill has lost a gear. So....

I can't comment on Milwaukee but I've got a lot of makita gear :)
My 18v combi drill is 8 years old and is still going strong, and it has had some serious hammer haha :D

You should be fine with either, you can get issues with any brand nowadays especially with the batteries so consider that. I have been a makita fan all my life and my gear is going strong but I did experience the milwaukee drills a few weeks ago and was very very impressed. You'll pay a bit more though if you go down the red route but solid stuff

I have the Milwaukee fuel 18v , tons of torque, a little to much sometimes I forget to clutch it back abit, got a new armeg wood beaver bit yesterday running hundreds of hole through timbers was like a red hot poker through polystyrene ! Battery's can be picked up on flea bay new for fifty quid as well, but one charge lasts real long time, there is a 4ah battery out as well. I'm getting the fuel brushless impact driver soon. No regrets with Milwaukee at all

I have a serious collection of Makita gear and I recommend it completely.
Not trying to take anything away from Milwaukee as they make by all accounts quality gear but as to why I went Makita rather than Bosch or Dewalt etc, here are my reasons:
Makita's 18v range is massive and you can buy bare tools once you have a decent number of batteries. This is awesome for things like angle drills, lights (the flourescent one they do is awesome, I have 2)
They seem to be the only major tool brand to do an 18V multi cutter and that is a real bonus, mine has been my best mate ever since I bought it.
Makita's cordless SDS ranges all have 3 modes, (rotary, rotary hammer and chisel) I have had the BHR202 which was great, and I now have the BHR262 (36V) with a few 36v batteries and also the battery converter to power it off 2 18V batteries. Have thrown everything at both drills and not been let down. I think as sparks chasing with SDS scutch chisels etc having a hammer only mode is a must have.
Also Makita now do a 3 year warranty on new tools which kind of brings them into line with other brands, and if you have a battery that dies on you then if you give them a shout and send it down there they usually send you a new one within a few working days. As for 4ah batteries that everyone is rolling out, the 22 min charge time on makita batts is miles ahead on that front so I can see makita not bothering bringing them out.

used a subbies milwauke 18v and the batteries dont last too long.

much prefer my makita lxt202

battery lasts most of the day. drilled at least 20 X 20mm holes in bottom off a bms panel on one battey.

plus they only take 20mins to charge and ive never used a battery up anywhere near that quick.

have a look at fastfix.co.uk

bought a makita drill+ 2 batteries for £270 inc vat from them. there very reasonable

(make sure to get the br 451 if you get the one with carbon brushes has twice the torque of some of the others)

I have that said and it is incredible. 5 Yeats old and still going strong I also have the torch and circular saw. If you buy it you won't regret it

Well I would get rid of my mrs before my Milwaukee's saying that I haven't tried the makita stuff. :)

Milwaukee would be my first, second and third choice of kit evey time!! It outclasses the others in just about every area, except price maybe!! lol!!

I haven't had Makita for 15 years now. My last one was the 12v marathon drill with the red batteries which was great at 1st but after around a year got very ropey and needed parts replacing. No doubt they are much better now.

I got some Milwaukee 12v stuff last year and they are great. When I replace my 18v dewalt gear later this year I will be giving Milwaukee a try.

I use makita drills at the moment but I used to have a Milwaukee. The Milwaukee came out when my other drills where struggling, it was very very powerful and if it caught could easily break a wrist :)

Spill the beans sharpened! I'd love to upgrade to Milwaukee for all my gear if it wasn't for the price.

I have Heard gear from America is cheaper but you'd have to deal with import taxes and I dont think batteries have a worldwide guarantee so you're stuffed if they go wrong or die on u

I really rate my C18PD32.
Great general drill/driver/hammer. Smaller compact body than the HD18PD version and lighter too. Don't expect it to be too keen in masonry over 6mm though as it's the baby of the family.
Toolstation for £220 with 2 x 3Ah batts and charger.
Compares very well on spec with the new 18v "fuel" drill that seems to be it's replacement. That comes in at about £340 for the cheapest on the web, although it does boast 4Ah batteries.

FFX tools were the cheapest before christmas for my HD18CS circular saw at £120, but they sell it now at £164 :(

Ok then, speak to dave at toolmonkey.co.uk. He is a milwaukee stockist and you can buy what you want how you want don't have to buy kit form, you build your own kit.
I have one charger, 6 batteries, then just buy the bare units as needed with or without cases.
Excellent service, and love my milwaukees!!!!!!

happy shopping!

I think a lot of the manufacturers are offering the 3 year warranty, it's just whose gets the most use?
i personally find the build quality of Milwaukee far more solid than the Makita/dewalt & Bosch.
Metabo are a good make also.

Ive had both, have milwaukee now... Much more reliable IMO. I had problems with makita batteries. I had 3 break in a year.

Unfortunately, Makita battery problems are well documented. You only need to google 'makita battery problems' to see that the problem is quite widespread. Unfortunately, Makita seem to be in a state of denial.

Unfortunately, Makita battery problems are well documented. You only need to google 'makita battery problems' to see that the problem is quite widespread. Unfortunately, Makita seem to be in a state of denial.

its only diyers usually that have the battery problems

the charging circuit is powerd from the first cell and if the batteries are not charged for a long time then the cells voltage will go to low and throw up an error.

3 error tones on makita charger and then it will refuse that battery pack.

don't confuse quality with weight.

I was asking myself the same question last year. Bought a Metabo. Best drill/driver I've ever owned, 3 year warranty on batteries too. And the case is really well thought out, with space for drill bits etc. Bosch/Makita take note!!

Reply to Milwaukee or Makita?? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net