Discuss Minor Works cert in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I think classing it as maintenance is a cop out and an excuse not to do a bit of paperwork , where is a line drawn with maintenance. I will always do a Minor Works of a record for compliance.

The problem is the reg regarding MWC has always been open to different interpretations depending who is reading it. It would be a lot more cut and dry if they removed the word "may". "This Certificate may also be used for the replacement of equipment such as accessories or luminaires, but not for the replacement of distribution boards or similar items".

I really don't understand why they don't just remove the word really and settle it once and for all? It's been a ongoing discussion since Part P was introduced.

Im with @Midwest maybe some of you are not in the hustle & bustle end of this trade replacing a light fitting only requires a zs reading on the invoice no mwc issued are you having a laugh! 5 mins job turns into 2hr invoice people are going to think your taking the p**s instead of £20-£30 its turning into £50-£60 double that location depending,,to change a light..! some of you must be at the luxury end of the market & have your heads floating in the clouds.. get real!!

To some extent, I can't argue that it's not too much to ask to fill out a form, certainly one from pencil & paper. However, the sample MEIWC in BS7671 requires eight test results/tick boxes (essential tests) . Some of these require disturbance of the cabling inside the CU, disconnection of appliances etc, and is time consuming to carry out. Adding to the cost of the job, as mentioned by bigspark17.

So for the pro MEIWC, would you carry out all those procedures for a simple replacement of an accessory or luminaire?

Last edited:
If I think a Minor Works Cert is appropriate, I won't necessarily fill in all the boxes. Just installed some new Class 2 ceiling lights at a large site. The cert has IR for the small amount of new wiring only, Zs, RCD times and polarity. I've no way of telling whether the supply is TN-S or TN-C-S without turning off the whole site, so that's not ticked, and I haven't measured R1 or R1+R2, so that's empty as well. I don't feel bad about this.

I suppose we can agree to disagree. Risk assessing, job per job. Mrs Miggans new luminaire, visual inspection of wiring AAIO, me Zs perhaps RCD, recorded on invoice. If I'm not doing all tests, I don't see the point of the minor works cert, paperwork for paperworks sake IMO. Actually altering or adding to wiring, would require full testing and certification.

That said, a while back I replaced 4 or 5 luminaries for a customer, and decided to do all tests and found an IR fault, which was a incorrectly connected smoke alarm.

So each job has to be treated on its merits.

Reply to Minor Works cert in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net