Discuss most sockets show live neutral reverse in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

raycroxy

DIY
Reaction score
just had a new meter fitted,tells me most sockets are faulty and not to use,all sockets apart from two show live neutral reverse.
going to egypt for 2 weeks tomorrow,so can't get an electrician right now,must have been like this for years so assume it is still safe to use?
any thoughts on the cause and fix would be appreciated.

Can you post a picture of the new meter, main fuse it's connected to plus anything else before the cables go into your consumer unit?

Can you post a picture of the new meter, main fuse it's connected to plus anything else before the cables go into your consumer unit?
sorry,no grandchildren available for technical jobs like posting photos,but guy did test some sockets before he fitted the new meter,so problem was not caused by new meter.

Did the sockets he tested happen to be the ones that show okay when you tested them?

Did the sockets he tested happen to be the ones that show okay when you tested them?
no,the only ones that show ok are the double socket that i fitted about five years ago as a spur from the ring main.can't understand why,as i have checked the one i took the spur off,and it is red to red and black to black.

OK, so logically one of two things have happened here: either (1) you had a reverse polarity situation prior to the new meter which has been corrected except for areas where there was a 'double correction' or (2) it was fine before and is now wrong.

My suspicion is that you probably had a mix of right/wrong before and that you've now got the inverse. If you're going away, just unplug everything that you can and book an electrician to take a look when you get back. IF it turns out that the meter fitter has been in error then that's a very serious issue and one you'll have redress over.

OK, so logically one of two things have happened here: either (1) you had a reverse polarity situation prior to the new meter which has been corrected except for areas where there was a 'double correction' or (2) it was fine before and is now wrong.

My suspicion is that you probably had a mix of right/wrong before and that you've now got the inverse. If you're going away, just unplug everything that you can and book an electrician to take a look when you get back. IF it turns out that the meter fitter has been in error then that's a very serious issue and one you'll have redress over.
thanks for your reply,the guy tested all the sockets before he touched anything,so i am sure it wasn't anything he did,i am guessing that one wrong connection could cause this,i will arrange an electrician for when we get back,must have been like this for years,so i am not going to worry too much,and we always disconnect everything when we go away.
thank you for taking the time to reply,much appreciated.

Did he check them before he changed the meter?

Reply to most sockets show live neutral reverse in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net