Discuss Moving to oz need advice. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm moving to Perth this year as defacto on my partners visa as she is a nurse it's abit easier that way.
I earn decent money in the UK as an electrician and quite comfortable here feel like I'm jumping in the deep end abit and there's not much advice online I can see.

How much of a ballache is it changing my qualifications over ?

How much money can you potentially earn?

Does anyone know anyone that is an electrician from uk in perth atm that can either give me some advice or have they're own company?

total ballache to get quals recognised, to start it will be easier finding a company to hire you as a TA (trade assistant) a lot of decent ones will pay you around 80% sparks rate for this and will make plenty of cash with that. Good luck with it

I could be reading this incorrectly, but it might not be that long.

A provisional license is often granted after you have completed your OTSR. On a provisional license you must work under the supervision of a licensed tradesman. However you can undertake gap training in order to obtain your full license.

When you obtain your OTSR you are generally given a list of short courses or training that you must undertake in order to obtain this license, and a time frame in which you must complete this training (usually 12 months).

I've read on a few sites that a decent electrician would take around 6 months to convert from a provisional license to full license. It's worth noting that most information points to NVQ level 3 being the minimum expected qualification needed to apply for a provisional license.

I'm moving to Perth this year as defacto on my partners visa as she is a nurse it's abit easier that way.
I earn decent money in the UK as an electrician and quite comfortable here feel like I'm jumping in the deep end abit and there's not much advice online I can see.

Does anyone know anyone that is an electrician from uk in perth atm that can either give me some advice or have they're own company?
Hey Mate, I'm the opposite to you. My Wife is from the UK and lived here with me for 9 years. We're toying with the idea of moving to the UK for a change so I need to look at getting my WA licence transferred to the UK.

In terms of wages Perth is one of the top places in the country for Electrician wages. Melbourne is the best but Perth is not far behind.

I'm unsure the exact route of transferring your licence but I know it's a pain. The upside is currently the is ALOT of work and you should be able to find a job as a TA while you sort out getting a WA "A" Grade.

Wages start at around $80K a year for the small companies. If you can land a job at an EBA company eventually (where I work) then you'll be on a union negotiated agreement which is currently around $100K a year for a 36 hours week. With all the perks 2 RDO's a month, income protection etc...

Everywhere except the large mining companies employ based on hourly rates not salary so it's roughly works out to what I quoted above. Rates range from $35-$45 an hour with the EBA currently $49.44.

Any other questions just ask.

Slightly off track here fellas but hear me out.

Apologies to highjack the comment section but had to vent my frustration of how incompetent Australian Sparks are at testing. So, cut a long story short on a predominately Australian Electrical FB forum. Had someone ask why “Some” Aussie sparks Solder the CPC’s at the D/B rather than use an Earth bar. My reply was as follows - “Lazy and no forethought for the guy faultfinding in the future” there rebuttal was that you do Not need to remove individual CPC’s (Earths, I was ridiculed for using the term CPC) from the Mass of earth when fault finding individual
Circuits to which I disagreed. Am I going mad here? Seemed like a lot of hostility even though I was trying to explain that if
Having the chance to remove the individual CPC from the mass of earth to test would make it easier.
One thing I’ve found with the Aussies is that they can’t test for ----. Most British sparks are highly proficient when it comes to testing electrical installations and yet they bring up “Ring circuits” like it’s their only rebuttal towards British sparks. Old mate who wants to move over from Leeds the hardest thing about the whole ordeal is working with Australians. They think there ---- doesn’t stink and think they know everything. Good luck.

Last edited:
Slightly off track here fellas but hear me out.

Apologies to highjack the comment section but had to vent my frustration of how incompetent Australian Sparks are at testing. So, cut a long story short on a predominately Australian Electrical FB forum. Had someone ask why “Some” Aussie sparks Solder the CPC’s at the D/B rather than use an Earth bar. My reply was as follows - “Lazy and no forethought for the guy faultfinding in the future” there rebuttal was that you do Not need to remove individual CPC’s (Earths, I was ridiculed for using the term CPC) from the Mass of earth when fault finding individual
Circuits to which I disagreed. Am I going mad here? Seemed like a lot of hostility even though I was trying to explain that if
Having the chance to remove the individual CPC from the mass of earth to test would make it easier.
One thing I’ve found with the Aussies is that they can’t test for ----. Most British sparks are highly proficient when it comes to testing electrical installations and yet they bring up “Ring circuits” like it’s their only rebuttal towards British sparks. Old mate who wants to move over from Leeds the hardest thing about the whole ordeal is working with Australians. They think there ---- doesn’t stink and think they know everything. Good luck.
I lived in New Zealand and they were great no friction with the way you do your job as long as it gets a result. However I was a CAD technician at the time, not sure with electricians. Kiwis are generally more chilled out than the ausys so maybe its that, but then sometimes its how you handle the situation. I have retrained since as a spark in uk and I would be straight back to New Zealand if the right oppertunity arose. If they wanted me to solder the CPC and it was all legit in their land than no problem I would do it. Just think how lucky you are to live there as a pommy spark, great life style and weather is not bad.

Apologies to highjack the comment section but had to vent my frustration of how incompetent Australian Sparks are at testing. So, cut a long story short on a predominately
You tell them how it should be KK, are they stiil training convicts, lol.
The perpose of being a spark is testing and installing..
Maybe you should show them.

Apologies I kinda HiJacked your post with a silly rant.

Anyhow it’s been a longtime since I’ve had to do this but I can say one thing. It’s a ball ache. You apply for your OTSR through Vetassess. You complete their version of the AM2 which is called a “Capstone” This enables you to apply for a Restricted Electrical license on arrival in Aus.

Now the fun part. You’re going to Perth which is lucky as there is a ---- ton of work. You’ll apply with a local TAFE (College) to complete the “Wiring Rules” which if I remember was a three week block. Once completed you will have to work as a TA for about a year to complete your portfolio to get signed off. Wages locally can be around $35-40+ but Mining in WA can earn you from 150K - 200+ a year.
I work in Oil & Gas and my buddies that are working on Varanus island are hitting 220K a year for a 2 on 2 off Roster.

Reply to Moving to oz need advice. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net