Discuss Moving two existing sockets with no RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Tink

-
Reaction score
Just completed a site visit regarding moving two existing 13amp double sockets further along the wall (Chasing out, reinstalled, re-plaster etc. how lovely!) However there’s no additional protection provided by RCD as the CU is too old and the client doesn’t won’t to upgrade due to cost! Advice please on whether I should go ahead and just move the sockets.

Depends how bothered you are about complying with the regulations.

I wouldn't but I've followed behind many bodgers who obviously aren't bothered.

I'd be trying to persuade them to upgrade to a new CU personally. If they were totally against doing that I'd walk as I know I'd be pricing against 'Dave from the pub who'll do the job for £20'.

IMO, you are not adding accessories, whereby you.d have to fit RCD protection if the new sockets required it. however, by just moving sockets, you are altering a circuit, albeit slightly, and so a MEIWC should be supplied. your arse is in a sling then if you don't fit a RCD. for the cost of a stand alone RCD fed from the existing MCB/fuse, quote for this and if he refuses walk away.

Out of interest how were you planning to make the joins in the cables?
twist and tape, of course, with 2 layers of insulation tape. it's in the B&Q "how to do it" guide.

Just completed a site visit regarding moving two existing 13amp double sockets further along the wall (Chasing out, reinstalled, re-plaster etc. how lovely!) However there’s no additional protection provided by RCD as the CU is too old and the client doesn’t won’t to upgrade due to cost! Advice please on whether I should go ahead and just move the sockets.

Do you really need that job. It is only small. I'd leave it. Or for a laugh offer him this:

Dear sir

Due to your dire financial situation I am disappointed to offer you this solution.

Surface mounted boxes over existing flush ko boxes, trunking and surface mounted RCD sockets in new positions.

£300.00

Take it or leave it. Preferably the latter.

Cheers

Mr Tink

Thanks – I’ll try and persuade the client to upgrade the CU for obvious reasons.

The plan was to join the conductors using insulated crimps and concealed them within the existing metal backbox and cover using a blanking plate.

Do you really need that job. It is only small. I'd leave it. Or for a laugh offer him this:

Dear sir

Due to your dire financial situation I am disappointed to offer you this solution.

Surface mounted boxes over existing flush ko boxes, trunking and surface mounted RCD sockets in new positions.

£300.00

Take it or leave it. Preferably the latter.

Cheers

Mr Tink

PS : You need your earthing and bonded sorted too so that's an extra £100.00 :winkiss:

Thanks – I’ll try and persuade the client to upgrade the CU for obvious reasons.

The plan was to join the conductors using insulated crimps and concealed them within the existing metal backbox and cover using a blanking plate.
Are they stranded conductors or solid core?

Reply to Moving two existing sockets with no RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net